Heater Popped

  • Thread starter Thread starter chunch
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chunch

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2025
Messages
17
Reaction score
6
Location
New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend I heard a pop in the room. I could not locate it. Later that night there was an odd plastic/burning smell in the air. After investigating I saw that the water in the sump was extremely low and the pump was smoking. I immediately added water to the sump and the pump kicked in. The heater had to have malfunctioned as the day before I filled the sump with water. The water felt very warm not hot but really warm. And I removed the heater and saw that it was burnt and the plastic has melted.

I had one tomato clown who was over 10 years old, he/she looked distressed. Over the next few day I did water changes and he seemed to be back to normal but would not eat since the incident. Today he died, 6 days after the heater incident. Would the heater have contaminated the water? I have 2 red hermit crabs that went unfazed by this incident. I thought they would have been the first to die.

Now I need to empty the tank and start from scratch as the tank still has a plastic burning odor.
I know they are just two small hermit crabs but I’d like to keep them alive. What’s the best option to keep them alive while the tank is being cleaned and started over?

Thanks
 
Sounds like the water level was low heater ran dry and overheated. I don't see how a faulty heater is going to cause a water loss. Do you not have an ATO?

PS are you sure you need to tear down the tank? I've had something similar happen in the past. I don't think that would be necessary but you're there and I'm not.
 
I do not but I filled the sump the day before. It would be crazy that much water evaporated over night.

The water has a very plastic/burning smell to it. And I every other day I did a small water change. And still smells. Just think best to start over. I’m just amazed the the hermit crabs are fine.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new