Heater question

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 gallon lagoon running an inkbird controller and a single BRS 100 watt titanium heater. It has run fine for 9 months (and it is hot weather now), but the tank consistently runs hot to 79+ degrees. Shouldn't the inkbird shut down the heater??? Confirmed temp with an analog mercury thermometer.

I am cooling with a fan and a frozen water bottle when needed. House thermostat is at 77 degrees.

I am contemplating purchasing two 50 or 75 watt eheim jaegers to run on the inkbird. The 50s may be undergunned, but the 75s will have a hard time fitting in my short tank.

Any suggestions?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 gallon lagoon running an inkbird controller and a single BRS 100 watt titanium heater. It has run fine for 9 months (and it is hot weather now), but the tank consistently runs hot to 79+ degrees. Shouldn't the inkbird shut down the heater??? Confirmed temp with an analog mercury thermometer.

I am cooling with a fan and a frozen water bottle when needed. House thermostat is at 77 degrees.

I am contemplating purchasing two 50 or 75 watt eheim jaegers to run on the inkbird. The 50s may be undergunned, but the 75s will have a hard time fitting in my short tank.

Any suggestions?
If you set Inkbird to stop at a lower temp, would that help?
That’s what I do with mine when seasons change.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which inkbird? Where is the probe relative to the heater? What temp is it set to turn on and off? Have you verified that the heater is actually turning off? What controls the fan?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would plugging a light into the inkbird help to troubleshoot (in place of the heater)?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temp are you targeting? If ambient is 77, and 79 is high, sounds like you either a) don't need to run the heater, b) have a dirty pump running hot, or c) have excessively high ambient humidity inhibiting evaporative cooling

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which inkbird? Where is the probe relative to the heater? What temp is it set to turn on and off? Have you verified that the heater is actually turning off? What controls the fan?

ITC-306A. Heater is in the back chamber, probes are in the display tank on opposite ends. Low temp is 77, high temp is 78. I have not verified that the heater shuts down. Not sure how to do this.​

I control the fan.. Turn it on in the mornings, charge it over night.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ITC-306A. Heater is in the back chamber, probes are in the display tank on opposite ends. Low temp is 77, high temp is 78. I have not verified that the heater shuts down. Not sure how to do this.​

I control the fan.. Turn it on in the mornings, charge it over night.
Try unplugging it entirely and see if temps correct themselves. Or as mentioned, plug a light in with it to have visual indication of when the heater outlet is powered

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure how to do this, but the return pump is very dirty.
Cleaning the return pump could keep it from running so hard and it would possibly put out less heat.

If you keep the inkbird temperature sensor in the water, but have a light plugged into the inkbird socket then it should turn on and off as the "heater" is activate (in this case the light is functioning a visual indicator, where the heater would normally be powered or not powered). If I remember correctly, some inkbird temp controllers have a range (that can be adjusted) so it has to drop a certain about (for example two degrees) so the heater isn't quickly turning on and off. I encourage you to confirm the model and look at the details for the temp controller. Good luck!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use one of these..

Given the temps I would probably unplug the heater and plug a light in to see when the controller is providing power. Doesn't sound like you need it at all right now.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is why I upgraded to a Sicce DC return pump about a year and a half ago because it puts out almost no heat in comparison to the pump in replaced. It sounds like you are headed in the right direction!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back