Is there a problem with my heater/controller?

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently added two clowns to my cycled tank and I am running an Inkbird 300w Heater, with an Inkbird Temperature Controller (one probe version, probe is located in the AIO sump near the return pump)

Basically my heater doesn't have appear to have engaged all night as my temperature hasn't dropped and has lingered between 25.4C & 25.7C for over 12 hours which I find incredibly unusual. I have tested the water with a thermometer this morning and it matches the Controllers figure.

I have altered the Controller to see if it will switch the heater on and off to reach a higher temperature and it does. Is it a case that the temperature of the water is affected by my house? I am NW England and so naturally this time of year the temperature is anywhere between 18C-21C in our house with central heating on etc.

Clowns seem happy?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention the tank temp, but do not mention what temp you set the inkbird at. Whatever temp you set the controller at, it should remain at that temp, regardless of the temperature in the home. 18c is too low for a tropical reef, 25c is the correct temp.

OP
OP
B

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention the tank temp, but do not mention what temp you set the inkbird at. Whatever temp you set the controller at, it should remain at that temp, regardless of the temperature in the home. 18c is too low for a tropical reef, 25c is the correct temp.
The Inkbird is set to 25C with a tolerance of 0.3C either side. Currently the temp is 25.2C but it has been at 25.5-25.7C most of the night without fluctuations

OP
OP
B

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I misunderstood. So everything is ok?
I mean it seems to be, I just could have sworn i could hear the inkbird flicking the heater on and off to bump up the temperature and now it does not seem to be doing that. Maybe I haven't explained myself so well.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank temp is stable, the heater will not cycle. It is possible the other devices, pumps and lights, are warming the tank sufficiently so the heater for the last 12 hours, has not cycled.

OP
OP
B

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank temp is stable, the heater will not cycle. It is possible the other devices, pumps and lights, are warming the tank sufficiently so the heater for the last 12 hours, has not cycled.
Its a 33gal with a red sea led50, skimmer, return pump and a tunze wavemaker running, would they all genuinely contribute to keeping the tank a stable temp along with say the temperature of the room aswell?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 33gal with a red sea led50, skimmer, return pump and a tunze wavemaker running, would they all genuinely contribute to keeping the tank a stable temp along with say the temperature of the room aswell?
Yes. This can become a problem when the ambient room temp rises in the summer towards desired tank temp. Then the devices you mention may raise the temp more than desired. Use a small fan to augment evaporative cooling, just make sure to use an ato.

OP
OP
B

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. This can become a problem when the ambient room temp rises in the summer towards desired tank temp. Then the devices you mention may raise the temp more than desired. Use a small fan to augment evaporative cooling, just make sure to use an ato.
Yes I am not looking forward to the summer for this reason as a newbie with a new tank. I've got a fan on standby for this reason!! Thanks!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am not looking forward to the summer for this reason as a newbie with a new tank. I've got a fan on standby for this reason!! Thanks
Evaporative cooling is a significant method and gets us thru most of the summer. Aim the fan at the waters surface to create agitation. Some of us use ice filled bags or jugs on the hottest days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back