Heater wattage for cold basement

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You willing to add $50 a month to your electric bill for running two 300w heaters almost non stop?

It is worth it?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he'll likely see temps in the basement that are 30+ degree lower then the desired tank temp
You sort of stepped in it bud. Im at the snow line, in a 120 year old house and my basement is semi exposed and only hair below outside temps. Up state NY may be colder but its still below freezing through much of the winter. I would say nights average 38f under my house, Its why I was forced to insulate. I have a back up 150W heater used for my 100g mixing sump. And if the sump needs extra heat which on bad winters it does. Nothing wrong with your idea of two 300w better to have it and not need it, and or use the second to heat the water change water. Then to be left short. I would also add that Rubbermaid 100g stock tanks are ideal for cold applications as they retain heat, and I only have to use a little foam insulation on top to weatherproof mt sump.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too concerned
It would be rare to need that much juice, and having back up important in cold climates. 2 heaters a great idea and its what I actually do. Im pretty sure I use a 250 and a 150, which is great. we dont heat the house at night and temps inside are always in the low 40's and often get in the 30's in the house. Having a large volume of water helps keeps temps semi stable and I often see temps to 70f for water in winter and all fish and coral have done great with zero losses over 28 years.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the tank won't be for viewing (most of the time), you might be able to insulate the bottom/sides with Styrofoam or a water heater insulation blanket to help with temp. A glass lid might help as well.

81wyl0Wlh0L._AC_SS260_.jpg

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might be able to insulate the bottom/sides
just buying the right size rubbermaid stock tank does so much better at saving heat. It will save thousands in electricity in the long run. I cover mine with 1/2 inch foam insulation boards and loose almost no heat at all. I had a 50g glass tank converted for a decade, covered like you suggested and I had troubles keeping the water warm on cold winters. I ran the 150w for over a decade and using house heat and was able to keep things stable.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your input, I think I will either run 2x200 or 2x250.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back