Heater went bad looking for a new one

LostNemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all my heater just died for my 20 gallon and currently browsing for a new one as I don’t have a good back up except one for a 5 gallon.

Saw this on Amazon is this good it doesn’t have any reviews but I’ve seen some on here about that are good

IMG_3653.png

OP
OP
L

LostNemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice, I can definitely recommend finnex titanium heaters. Helio heaters are also great, more expensive but more features (high and low temp alarms, heater running dry alarms, awesome magnetic mounts): https://amzn.to/3TgK25h
Great! I saw those love all the feature and love IM but currently out my budget unfortunately wish I could get it though

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely recommend Finnex, they’re solid heaters/controllers. I can’t trust Helio unfortunately as I had one die after a year of use and a brand new DOA. If you don’t mind mix and match, I’m currently using an Inkbird controller and a Jebao heater and they work very well.

OP
OP
L

LostNemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely recommend Finnex, they’re solid heaters/controllers. I can’t trust Helio unfortunately as I had one die after a year of use and a brand new DOA. If you don’t mind mix and match, I’m currently using an Inkbird controller and a Jebao heater and they work very well.
dang that sucks. Haha that’s what I was doing too using an inkbird with a hygger heater that also had a controller.

OP
OP
L

LostNemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 watts sounds like a LOT for a 20 gallon tank.
I don't know the physical size of that one but isn't it pretty long (physically) for your tank?
I have the Red Sea max nano. It looked like it was really long but in the product description it said it was 13in long. I think they used the same picture for all the sizes

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea max nano. It looked like it was really long but in the product description it said it was 13in long. I think they used the same picture for all the sizes
Fitting it is one thing but I'd still be curious if you were looking for 300 Watts (of heating) for a 20 gallon for some reason or if you just landed there somehow via shopping.

Seems like over-kill to me but don't know your situation.
Beyond that, 2x smaller heaters would be my preference anyway but, personally, I wouldn't think you'd need 300W total either.

Whatever works.

OP
OP
L

LostNemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fitting it is one thing but I'd still be curious if you were looking for 300 Watts (of heating) for a 20 gallon for some reason or if you just landed there somehow via shopping.

Seems like over-kill to me but don't know your situation.
Beyond that, 2x smaller heaters would be my preference anyway but, personally, I wouldn't think you'd need 300W total either.

Whatever works.
Honestly wasn’t even thinking about the wattage. Was kinda just looking for something that said it was good for heating 20-30 gallon tanks. you’re def right that it is overkill lol

I’m gonna keep looking any recommendations?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna keep looking any recommendations?
Listen to other opinions over mine -- I've been running 2x 100W Eheim Jager glass heaters in a 40 gallon tank (and previous 37 gallon tank).

I like them because they're cheap and reliable (IMO), plus local PetSmart honors the warranty, no questions asked (at least the one time I tried).

Cons are they're pretty BIG for their output (Watts) and the temperature dial is a royal pain but, once you get them dialed in (via fiddling) they hold temperature well,,, or just run through a separate controller like pretty much everyone does anyway.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back