Need New Heater - Hygger Opinions?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My heater on one of my 150g tanks seems to have failed today, so I’m in the market for a new one. Luckily, our shop doesn’t go below 74-75* anyway so I have a little time & Amazon can deliver this Hygger heater tomorrow. I’m not interested in using a glass heater but I may just grab one from Petco for the day & keep as a backup for use in a pinch.

Does anyone here have experience/opinions on this heater? Reviews look good and I have Hygger wave makers that have been great. Just don’t want to waste $60 if I should just go with something else.

thanks in advance!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend Eheim Jagers. They are glass, but its very thick and durable glass. The biggest issue is they are large units and the calibration ring/dial doesn't always work great, but once set to desired temp, they are rock solid and reliable.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough, I bought the 300W to use in a 75G that I never set up and decided to use it for mixing saltwater instead..

It works well when water is being pushed through it, but when my Sicce stalled it had my water warmed to about 90 degrees in a 5 G bucket. I believe it tripped at 90 degrees but I can’t quite remember. Hope this helps.

My point is it was set to 78 but couldn’t read the temperature I guess. The moment the water moved it tripped and started beeping.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend Eheim Jagers. They are glass, but its very thick and durable glass. The biggest issue is they are large units and the calibration ring/dial doesn't always work great, but once set to desired temp, they are rock solid and reliable.
I second this . I have 3. 1 in my 90 and one in a 22 gallon nano cube. Plus an extra in case I need to replace. I use an Inkbird controller on the 90 and I have a Finnex for the nano.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oddly enough, I bought the 300W to use in a 75G that I never set up and decided to use it for mixing saltwater instead..

It works well when water is being pushed through it, but when my Sicce stalled it had my water warmed to about 90 degrees in a 5 G bucket. I believe it tripped at 90 degrees but I can’t quite remember. Hope this helps.
Yeah, I like the features this one claims to have such as shutting off of its dry, but it says it turns off when it hits 94. That’s a little too hot for my liking but I also have an Apex that I can program to shut the heater off if it gets too hot.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I second this . I have 3. 1 in my 90 and one in a 22 gallon nano cube. Plus an extra in case I need to replace. I use an Inkbird controller on the 90 and I have a Finnex for the nano.
Good to know! The one that just failed on me is a Finnex but I think it’s about 2 years old now. Maybe I’ll give an Eheim a try.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6218.png
Go with the 300w or 500w. I have these in all my tanks and never had an issue. Accurate to .5 to 1 degree in my experience

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recommend Eheim Jagers. They are glass, but it’s very thick and durable glass. The biggest issue is they are large units and the calibration ring/dial doesn't always work great, but once set to desired temp, they are rock solid and reliable.
Thank you! I will take a look at these! I’m just scared of the glass breaking and the size of the heater but since it’s going in my sump, I can lay it horizontally and nothing should be happening that could break it.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! The one that just failed on me is a Finnex but I think it’s about 2 years old now. Maybe I’ll give an Eheim a try.
Yeah, the Finnex heater gave up the ghost after about a year for me but the Finnex comtroller has been rock solid. And stay away from Innovative Marine Helios systems.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_6218.png
Go with the 300w or 500w. I have these in all my tanks and never had an issue. Accurate to .5 to 1 degree in my experience
Thank you! How long have you had them for?
I’ve been impressed with their wave makers - I have the minis and full sizes and I like the controllers. They’ve all been working great for a few years now.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! How long have you had them for?
I’ve been impressed with their wave makers - I have the minis and full sizes and I like the controllers. They’ve all been working great for a few years now.
3 years and longer on other tanks.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, the Finnex heater gave up the ghost after about a year for me but the Finnex comtroller has been rock solid. And stay away from Innovative Marine Helios systems.
Hey Steve, Oddly enough, I just posted about an issue with my IM Helio.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back