Today's Lesson in Heaters

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Woke up this morning to my aquarium at 70.4 degrees. My IM Helio 500w heater failed after 8 months (purchased new June 2023). Of course I never set up my Apex alarm, but looking back to yesterday it failed right about 2pm, and showed no signs of issue before then. Luckily I keep an oversized water change heater at 300w so I threw that in with another smaller Jager heater I have as extras with an Inkbird controller. All fish not yet accounted for but most are. *fingers crossed* Melanurus, watchman and mandarin still to be accounted for.

Always keep an extra heater capable of replacing your duty heater! And set your controller alarms!!

Now to see how IM handles this issue. I see they no longer list the 500w heater on their website...and BRS shows it discontinued. Sounds like they know something I don't.

Temp.png

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup i run 2 heaters...
the second heater is a bit under powered, so it will slowly drop the tank, and not crash it should the main heater fail.

This gives me enough time with my room temp ambients being high in the tank room to get out my ugly one, while a new titanium one comes in the mail.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back