Heater issues

Timandkatereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone not a big topic but I’m having issues with the heater.

Currently I have a 200w hygger Aquarium Heater in the middle chamber in the 38 gallon nano tank. There is temperature prob that comes on the heater which displays 77.5. The temperature was set at 77.5 however I have a temperature prob in the main display that shows 72 degrees. What am I doing wrong? This is the forth heater I went through..

Last edited:

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty typical. You should have heater controller infront of your heater for redundancy and most have a calibration setting. Unfortunately the Hygger does not. Once you are sure you have an accurate thermometer just dial the Hygger up until you get the temperature you want. They are not accurate but they are consistent.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, The display and the sump are sometimes different temps and you may want to adjust the heater so the display temp is where you want it to be. Just make sure you are confident in the display temp probe.

Unless you have some really screwy low flow setup or the probe is touching something, water temp in the tank and sump will be the same.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all heaters and temp probes are going to off a little bit from each other. thats just the nature of them.
But thats a HUGE variation.
Typically when you want to get the "correct" measure, youd use at least 3-4 probes and then use the average as the actual temp and calibrate to that average

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all heaters and temp probes are going to off a little bit from each other. thats just the nature of them.
But thats a HUGE variation.
Typically when you want to get the "correct" measure, youd use at least 3-4 probes and then use the average as the actual temp and calibrate to that average

Or just buy a certified thermometer.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or a basement sump

Water temp should be he same if you’re > 10x turnover.

they can still drift and be off from each other. calibration to a know temp is the standard.

They shouldn’t unless you bought one made by Happytiimethermo Guarrinteed Certfried.

God I love this hobby. Imagine if your AIDS test came back positive but another was negative. Then your doctor walks in and tells you they’re gonna run it five more times and average the results.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water temp should be he same if you’re > 10x turnover.

They shouldn’t unless you bought one made by Happytiimethermo Guarrinteed Certfried.

God I love this hobby. Imagine if your AIDS test came back positive but another was negative. Then your doctor walks in and tells you they’re gonna run it five more times and average the results.
those comparisons are not even in the same ballpark..... but sure whatever you say.... lol :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone not a big topic but I’m having issues with the heater.

Currently I have a 200w hygger Aquarium Heater in the middle chamber in the 38 gallon nano tank. There is temperature prob that comes on the heater which displays 77.5. The temperature was set at 77.5 however I have a temperature prob in the main display that shows 72 degrees. What am I doing wrong? This is the forth heater I went through..
Lol, here are mine. Readings are in Celsius, so to convert to American multiple by 3ish tablespoons;

4C253C70-E8CD-4503-90DB-10F765C12B67.jpeg 5BA34E6A-B095-49E0-9683-801C77D3FD4E.jpeg 0EBB2001-3785-4293-B9F4-2D775D1429AE.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back