Heating room rather than tank.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

im putting a large fowlr in my freshwater tank room I was wondering if heating/cooling the room as I currently do to 26 will my equipment heat the water? i plan on titanium heaters as redundancy and an external chiller for same reason. It’s a large tank and in my mind (a scary place at times ) it works and should remain a stable temp but in all the vids I’ve seen there hasn’t been someone heating just the room for marine that I’ve seen.

regards Duzzy

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

im putting a large fowlr in my freshwater tank room I was wondering if heating/cooling the room as I currently do to 26 will my equipment heat the water? i plan on titanium heaters as redundancy and an external chiller for same reason. It’s a large tank and in my mind (a scary place at times ) it works and should remain a stable temp but in all the vids I’ve seen there hasn’t been someone heating just the room for marine that I’ve seen.

regards Duzzy
Room temp has a massive influence.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 and a 20g nano in our snake room. We keep the room at
78-80°. I use no heaters in those tanks. The 45 is 3.5 years old.
Both tanks run 80°.
The 20g nano has a fan and it runs 77. I have ran it without with no issues.
The small fan will increase evaporation and reduce my 20g by 3°.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My knowledge of thermodynamics is very rudimentary at this stage of my life, but I think that keeping room temp in certain range can help cooling or heating tank, but I would still use heaters and if necessary fan or chiller.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My knowledge of thermodynamics is very rudimentary at this stage of my life, but I think that keeping room temp in certain range can help cooling or heating tank, but I would still use heaters and if necessary fan or chiller.
Eventually you’ll get onto entropy and the arrow of time. If you’re baffled now, you just wait. :)

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 and a 20g nano in our snake room. We keep the room at
78-80°. I use no heaters in those tanks. The 45 is 3.5 years old.
Both tanks run 80°.
The 20g nano has a fan and it runs 77. I have ran it without with no issues.
The small fan will increase evaporation and reduce my 20g by 3°.
Thanks so much I’m thinking a large tank would be even more stable was also thinking that I’d gently ventilate over equipment to prevent as much heat. with my freshwater tanks it works I just wasn’t sure if the equipment being so much more of it than in freshwater would raise temp.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much I’m thinking a large tank would be even more stable was also thinking that I’d gently ventilate over equipment to prevent as much heat. with my freshwater tanks it works I just wasn’t sure if the equipment being so much more of it than in freshwater would raise temp.
On my 80g/30g, total 120g total system I only run a heater in the winter months maybe 6 months. House is 77° tank is 80° in the summer so equiepment gives a 3-4° bump.
Winter house is 70° and I need a heater to keep tank at 80.

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 80g/30g, total 120g total system I only run a heater in the winter months maybe 6 months. House is 77° tank is 80° in the summer so equiepment gives a 3-4° bump.
Winter house is 70° and I need a heater to keep tank at 80.
Thank you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back