heavy metals is there a list?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the term other heavy metals on product's like cupri sorb and others, kind makes me mad. why would they not tell you what metals are defined as other? so does anyone know what counts as a heavy metal know to be found in tank water.
1. copper
2. nickel
3. tin
4. zinc
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The definition of a heavy metal is a chemical term which does not necessarily imply they all bind to such materials, and being a heavy metal is not a requirement for binding to them, so knowing the definition will not solve your issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what binds to what is very complicated because many trace elements exist in a variety of different chemical forms which may have different properties, and binding from tank water will depend on these issues that cannot be perfectly replicated by any single set of tests.

That said, many transition metals (different set of elements than heavy metals) will likely bind to metal binding polymers to at least some extent.

Transition metals are all those in the middle sections of the periodic table.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transition metals are the dark blue, orange and green elements in this table:

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i does some metals based on icp test results which defines tank needs. i do want to run cupridsorb to lower copper (tested at 7.2 with a target range of 1-3) it would make me sleep better. but i worry about removing the other metals i dose like nickel an iron. dont wnt to waste money on items that the metal abosrbing media may pull out.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i does some metals based on icp test results which defines tank needs. i do want to run cupridsorb to lower copper (tested at 7.2 with a target range of 1-3) it would make me sleep better. but i worry about removing the other metals i dose like nickel an iron. dont wnt to waste money on items that the metal abosrbing media may pull out.
I think you will not find a binder that binds only copper, and if you want to lower the copper (not needed,IMO) you can lower more thing with a binder and add them back, or perhaps do some water changes.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back