Helfrichi Firefish reclassified as the Lavender Blushed Firefish, a new species (in taxonomic terms)

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Builders released a new article from Yi Kai Tea (aka Kai the Fish Guy) about the reclassification of the Helfrichi Firefish were all familiar with.
It's now been reclassified as the Lavender Blushed Firefish (new Latin name being Nemateleotris lavandula)
Interestingly enough, the "Deepwater Variant", the all purple one that comes in sometimes, is now also classified as being the Helfrichi Firefish, keeping the Latin name (N. Helfrichi)

So now, they're two separate species and not just two varieties of the same species. What do you think of the new name? Personally I like it. Though I think people will shorten the name to "Lavender Firefish" instead.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Builders released a new article from Yi Kai Tea (aka Kai the Fish Guy) about the reclassification of the Helfrichi Firefish were all familiar with.
It's now been reclassified as the Lavender Blushed Firefish (new Latin name being Nemateleotris lavandula)
Interestingly enough, the "Deepwater Variant", the all purple one that comes in sometimes, is now also classified as being the Helfrichi Firefish, keeping the Latin name (N. Helfrichi)

So now, they're two separate species and not just two varieties of the same species. What do you think of the new name? Personally I like it. Though I think people will shorten the name to "Lavender Firefish" instead.
Yeah, I like the new name, fits the fish well, although I think it's funny too they added the Blushed part to the name

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back