Hello all newbie member here, with a question or two on lighting

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off thanks for the approval admin. Appreciated.
Bit of background if you'll all indulge me. Marine tank for over 20 years now, pretty much same setup of a 90 gallon bowfront till that one cracked real good on a move, emergency purchase of a 90 gallon simple rectangular. Learned the hard way several times over the years, and oft I guess that's what happens.
Anyway my setup for years has always been live rock, hang on skimmer no sump, no media, small filter powerhead several other powerheads for wave action, UV sterilizer, and just 2 T5 HO's ....simple has always worked better for me it seems.
Anyway, currently stocked and all doing well with Clown, Coral Beauty, Yellow Tang , Striped Damsel....several mushroom varieties, Kenya Trees (spreading always) , yellow button pollups, star pollups, Yellow Gorgonian, usual inverts for many, a few different urchins, hermits, snails, coral banded, cucumber, brittle star, sand sifting star. Amongst whatever else I have forgotten.
Long story short. Decided to supplement my T5's with the Fluval Marine reef 3.0 in hopes of giving the easy softies more pop and life, and hopefully in future an Anemone or two (never had luck with them , assuming because of my light levels). Don't want to shock anything and burn it up. Anyone have any experience with this LED fixture? Especially in combo with T5's? I am keeping the T5's because of the fact they generally dont tend to shadow and give an even light level, just supplementing for health of the reef. Currently on a very low sunrise/ sunset level, low daylight (25%) to start. Should I reduce this a bit and/or how quick to increase the levels?
Sorry for the novela lol, new member new post, figured background would be pertinent. Thanks all.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gradually bring up intensity.

welcome46.gif

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gradually bring up intensity.

welcome46.gif
Thanks much....going on this 25% kick for a bit then gradually ramping it up....the big thing will be the flip I assume. Want to eventually get to the point of having my new LED's take over and the T5's supplement for 4-5 hrs at high daylight.... gonna have to be a mathematician maybe lol.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off thanks for the approval admin. Appreciated.
Bit of background if you'll all indulge me. Marine tank for over 20 years now, pretty much same setup of a 90 gallon bowfront till that one cracked real good on a move, emergency purchase of a 90 gallon simple rectangular. Learned the hard way several times over the years, and oft I guess that's what happens.
Anyway my setup for years has always been live rock, hang on skimmer no sump, no media, small filter powerhead several other powerheads for wave action, UV sterilizer, and just 2 T5 HO's ....simple has always worked better for me it seems.
Anyway, currently stocked and all doing well with Clown, Coral Beauty, Yellow Tang , Striped Damsel....several mushroom varieties, Kenya Trees (spreading always) , yellow button pollups, star pollups, Yellow Gorgonian, usual inverts for many, a few different urchins, hermits, snails, coral banded, cucumber, brittle star, sand sifting star. Amongst whatever else I have forgotten.
Long story short. Decided to supplement my T5's with the Fluval Marine reef 3.0 in hopes of giving the easy softies more pop and life, and hopefully in future an Anemone or two (never had luck with them , assuming because of my light levels). Don't want to shock anything and burn it up. Anyone have any experience with this LED fixture? Especially in combo with T5's? I am keeping the T5's because of the fact they generally dont tend to shadow and give an even light level, just supplementing for health of the reef. Currently on a very low sunrise/ sunset level, low daylight (25%) to start. Should I reduce this a bit and/or how quick to increase the levels?
Sorry for the novela lol, new member new post, figured background would be pertinent. Thanks all.
Welcome canuckreefer,
Sounds like you have a handle on things
Help us where you can

Back