Hello eh!

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this form, and new to Marine tanks. So far it's been a lot of fun, but I do have a few welcoming questions...!
I have a 72 gallon bowfront so it is only 4 ft long.
I have heard of the 1 inch of fish to every 5 gallon rule, how strict is this?
I have had my tank set up for a couple months now and have 2 Clownfish, a Cleaner Shrimp, and a reently added Royal Gramma along with a few assorted snails and crabs. I am planning out my stocking and know that I definitely want a Flame Angelfish in my tank and eventually a Mandarian (I know the tank has to mature quite a while before this fish can be added). Is that the most I would be able to have in my tank? I was told at my LFS that I could have 30 inches of fish... a little skeptical of that, but I have really fallen for the one spot foxface and either the Tomini or Kole Tang. I heard they are the smallest and least aggressive fish, would this be over stocking my tank?
I have 80lbs of live sand and 60 lbs of live rock in my tank currently and a Fvluval 405 filter.
I am currently feeding my tank about 1/4-1/3 of a cube of frozen Brine Shrimp with Garlic, is this correct?
Any suggestions wold be appreciated.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! First off I've never heard of that rule lol. But really, there isn't a specific rule regarding inches per gallon. Really depends on the bioload. I could have a bunch of fish with low bioload or few with high bioloads. Just depends on the fish. Your future list for livestock looks pretty good. Don't see any problems really. Regarding your canister filter, if you can, I would go a different direction. Possibly a sump/refugium. Let us know what you think about that. If you can also, try to get some Mysis shrimp, would be better for the fish in the long run. Oh and post some pics! :D

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want all those fish and beautiful corals, i canister filter is not the way to go. Like already said a sump would be best. Get the biggest skimmer you can fit and you will be set. Now you don't need a refuigum in reality they really don't do what there meant for unless made on a large scale. But what they are good for is harboring microfauna such as copepods which would be great since you want a mandarin.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want all those fish and beautiful corals, i canister filter is not the way to go. Like already said a sump would be best. Get the biggest skimmer you can fit and you will be set. Now you don't need a refuigum in reality they really don't do what there meant for unless made on a large scale. But what they are good for is harboring microfauna such as copepods which would be great since you want a mandarin.
+1 yea forgot to mention a nice skimmer. I recommend getting a good quality one. You can possibly find some good used ones for sale on your local club forum.

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 yea forgot to mention a nice skimmer. I recommend getting a good quality one. You can possibly find some good used ones for sale on your local club forum.
I just realized this and sorry it dosent pertain to the thread but what are ,and how do we get the stars below our usernames?

OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info! Glad to hear that my stocking level should be ok and I won't have to make some tough decisions!
I had thought about the sump, but the LFS guy told me the canister filter I had would work to start. How big of a sump would be needed? Is there an easy way to build a sump with the water already in the tank?

OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more quick question, how often would you add the fish? I have heard any where from a few days apart, to a couple month apart... Also to add the most aggressive fish last, would that be the Flame or the Tang? Also, that adding the Mandarin last is ok since it won't compete with the Flame and Tang. ok, a couple questions...

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like lfs owner said it's ok to start,buts that's really it. Now with installing a sump while the systems already up and running can be tricky. You can use a hob overflow I prefer drilled tanks but idk if you can.sump size is really the biggest you can fit in your stand or where ever your putting it. Fish stocking. I wouldn't not be in a rush to do this. For one it gets kinda boring if you just run out and buy all your fish in the first couple of months . It could be done but I like to stock slowly and have extra fish space just in case you fall in love with a fish you were not anticipating on

OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Is it ok to add after the Dwarf Angel? He is the one fish I really want to get and why I would rush adding the other fish if he had to be last.
The nice part about my tank is it is pre drilled for the canister filter so I wouldn't have to do that part to start a sump. My stand has 3 compartments in it, would a 20 gallon sump be worth it? thinking that is about the size of tank that I could fit in the compartment that is already pre drilled.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized this and sorry it dosent pertain to the thread but what are ,and how do we get the stars below our usernames?

No problem. I think it has to do with the number of posts you have. But really I have no idea. The supporter one is because I became a member which gives you some nice perks and specific supporter only sections.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum! I think adding the fish you're considering would work. I'd suggest adding no more than one fish every couple of weeks to longer so that the filter can handle the additional waste and bioload. I would definitely suggest adding some additional foods to your feeding - as mentioned PE mysis, a mixture frozen like Rod's, pellets, and you'll want to get some nori to feed your tangs. Brine shrimp are ok but don't provide a solid enough diet on their own.

I used to run a canister without a sump on a 54 gallon corner tank. I upgraded to a 65 with a sump and it's sooo much nicer! I'm afraid I'm pretty plumbing impaired so can't give good advice about the best way to add a sump to your current setup.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info! Glad to hear that my stocking level should be ok and I won't have to make some tough decisions!
I had thought about the sump, but the LFS guy told me the canister filter I had would work to start. How big of a sump would be needed? Is there an easy way to build a sump with the water already in the tank?

Like he said you can start with it. And if you keep it as a fish only system then I'm sure you'll be ok. But if you want to get into corals you might want to switch over. To do it easily I would recommend doing HOB overflow and just run some soft tubing into your sump. Get a decent sized tank and look up how to make a sump. Get baffles and install them accordingly so that you have space for filter pads (or you can do filter socks) and enough space for your skimmer. And do the return pump however you wish.

Now I understand you might've spent a lot on your canister filter, so if it were me I would wait a while, educated myself on sumps and pumps and figure out which way you want to go.

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I think it has to do with the number of posts you have. But really I have no idea. The supporter one is because I became a member which gives you some nice perks and specific supporter only sections.
how do you become a member?

OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple pictures of my tank... I really like the cave and the fish really seem to as well since that where they all seem to hang out. Not convinced on the rock work on the other side but every time I move a couple rocks they out a lot of debris into the water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
Slyler

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I like then little cave looks that it has, just not the look that it looks like rocks jumbled together, I am not artistic with rock layout...
Sorry about the sideways and upside down pictures, was trying to get them loaded with my phone.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 139 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back