Hello from an invertebrate enthusiast!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it! But I am looking for plankton tows in open ocean that includes high zooplankton diversity (zooplankton being animals like larval crustaceans, copepods, larval anemones, so on), and already have a source :)
Care to share your source with the class ?? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::cool:

OP
OP
P

PoetaCorvi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share your source with the class ?? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::cool:
https://gulfofme.com/ ! The website itself doesn’t seem to have correct quantity descriptions for some listings (I’m guessing that buying one baltic isopod for $50 will not get you literally 1 isopod lol). Pretty sure they do most of their business outside of the site, but they seem pretty responsive over email! Going to leave a review here once I buy the plankton.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://gulfofme.com/ ! The website itself doesn’t seem to have correct quantity descriptions for some listings (I’m guessing that buying one baltic isopod for $50 will not get you literally 1 isopod lol). Pretty sure they do most of their business outside of the site, but they seem pretty responsive over email! Going to leave a review here once I buy the plankton.
Too neat. The owner of that company was part of article that Maine Corparate Extension did on sustainable mariculture of Red Ogo. Everything they have is cold water culture. The Irish Kelp taste like bacon.

I get liquid kelp seaweed concentrate from a competitor.

OP
OP
P

PoetaCorvi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too neat. The owner of that company was part of article that Maine Corparate Extension did on sustainable mariculture of Red Ogo. Everything they have is cold water culture. The Irish Kelp taste like bacon.

I get liquid kelp seaweed concentrate from a competitor.
Oh awesome! Definitely boosts my confidence in buying from them, I wasn’t familiar with the company.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal with the plankton is unsanitized wild cultures, with emphasis on zooplankton! Not as interested in studying phytoplankton atm, though I’m sure there will be some in the plankton tow. I don’t want to study any plankton species in particular, instead I’m looking to observe the biodiversity and dynamics between different species of wild marine plankton (including fauna like parasites and ‘pests’).

I wouldn’t start with a stocked invert tank. Instead the idea is that the invertebrates would come from larval plankton establishing itself in the enclosure, so I will not be adding any hand picked invertebrates to the ecosphere! The inhabitants of the ecosphere will be decided by whichever species thrive most. :)
Interesting!

I'd be curious to see how many trophic levels survive that experiment without any added phytoplankton - I'd imagine this could potentially wipe out the herbivores, but they could potentially survive in a tenuous balance with the phytoplankton.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Welcome.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back