Hello from and Old New Aquarist

H2ONUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and thanks to everyone!

I have been out of the saltwater aquarium world for about 15 years because I was traveling for work. Prior to that I had a saltwater aquarium from the time I was in college, which was in the days of under gravel filters. Always caught my own fish and got water at the beach.
Now I’m retired and when covid hit it seemed like the perfect time to dig in to something I love ... so the local fish store LFS - these acronyms are growing on me - advised me to spend $6k on a Red Sea set up.

Thanks to Jeff at Treasure Coast Aquariums I saved a lot for my future learning ... Jeff inspired me to begin with ... showed me some aquariums he was rebuilding, taught me a little about refugiums and gave me the confidence to start from scratch. I bought a setup on FB marketplace (don’t hold it against me), recaulked the 90 gal tank, reworked the sump (think I’ll make a better one) refinished the stand, conditioned the dry rock, traded in the 2 pump skimmer made for a 300 gal for an appropriate sized skimmer and a reactor and some store credit. By this time it’s been a couple months so I’m ready to add water so to speak. I bought some live sand, an ro/di unit for $60 and set her all up and left town for six weeks. I knew that by the time I returned from the Bahamas the tank would be cycled and ready for inhabitants.

That’s when I went nuts. I always had anemones in the past so I brought a Condy home as well as a gorgonian and a hardy little slipper dick (no smart remarks - that’s his real name) and the saga of over excitement continues. I was somewhat patient for the next six weeks or so during which time the system maintained balance and am, nitrite, and nitrates remained at zero, I learned more and more about what I needed to be doing as far as testing and started adding a CUC since diatoms began right after I decreased flow, can’t recall why ... increased flow and started testing phosphates, got the phosphate reactor going, discovered the Condy has an anemone crab - cool, then I went to the LFS and got a couple fish - oops ... no QT tank and here we go ... they came with ich ... which I am familiar with from the old days but alway took care of with copper ... now I have UV steralizer and will soon have a QT aquarium. Good thing I saved 5k Looks like I’m going to need it!

The high temp (always bumping 82 when it’s 77 in the house) is probably a good thing for ich control. I keep learning ... the hard way of course ... Meanwhile I feed the fish with a dropper so shouldn’t have too much trouble catching them at feeding time ... For the 70 odd days of QT ... good grief!

GHA has begun but now that all the kids are eating well and feedings are reduced the crew (including a tuxedo urchin, and fox face rabbit fish - can’t pass up a fish with that name) and Vibrant are taking care of it.

Thanks again for all I have learned and hope to learn from reef2reef contributors! You are so much kinder to new comers screw ups than some of the forums I read so I’m glad to join.

45A8F217-DB98-41D5-B2BC-EC84B89853ED.jpeg 8A2F182E-D7EF-4AFB-B7E7-D851A151D2CB.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been out of the saltwater aquarium world for about 15 years because I was traveling for work. Prior to that I had a saltwater aquarium from the time I was in college, which was in the days of under gravel filters. Always caught my own fish and got water at the beach.
Now I’m retired and when covid hit it seemed like the perfect time to dig in to something I love ... so the local fish store LFS - these acronyms are growing on me - advised me to spend $6k on a Red Sea set up.

Thanks to Jeff at Treasure Coast Aquariums I saved a lot for my future learning ... Jeff inspired me to begin with ... showed me some aquariums he was rebuilding, taught me a little about refugiums and gave me the confidence to start from scratch. I bought a setup on FB marketplace (don’t hold it against me), recaulked the 90 gal tank, reworked the sump (think I’ll make a better one) refinished the stand, conditioned the dry rock, traded in the 2 pump skimmer made for a 300 gal for an appropriate sized skimmer and a reactor and some store credit. By this time it’s been a couple months so I’m ready to add water so to speak. I bought some live sand, an ro/di unit for $60 and set her all up and left town for six weeks. I knew that by the time I returned from the Bahamas the tank would be cycled and ready for inhabitants.

That’s when I went nuts. I always had anemones in the past so I brought a Condy home as well as a gorgonian and a hardy little slipper dick (no smart remarks - that’s his real name) and the saga of over excitement continues. I was somewhat patient for the next six weeks or so during which time the system maintained balance and am, nitrite, and nitrates remained at zero, I learned more and more about what I needed to be doing as far as testing and started adding a CUC since diatoms began right after I decreased flow, can’t recall why ... increased flow and started testing phosphates, got the phosphate reactor going, discovered the Condy has an anemone crab - cool, then I went to the LFS and got a couple fish - oops ... no QT tank and here we go ... they came with ich ... which I am familiar with from the old days but alway took care of with copper ... now I have UV steralizer and will soon have a QT aquarium. Good thing I saved 5k Looks like I’m going to need it!

The high temp (always bumping 82 when it’s 77 in the house) is probably a good thing for ich control. I keep learning ... the hard way of course ... Meanwhile I feed the fish with a dropper so shouldn’t have too much trouble catching them at feeding time ... For the 70 odd days of QT ... good grief!

GHA has begun but now that all the kids are eating well and feedings are reduced the crew (including a tuxedo urchin, and fox face rabbit fish - can’t pass up a fish with that name) and Vibrant are taking care of it.

Thanks again for all I have learned and hope to learn from reef2reef contributors! You are so much kinder to new comers screw ups than some of the forums I read so I’m glad to join.

45A8F217-DB98-41D5-B2BC-EC84B89853ED.jpeg 8A2F182E-D7EF-4AFB-B7E7-D851A151D2CB.jpeg
Welcome!

You sound like seasoned pro after all you've been doing! If you go into corals, then you might need to spend some of that saved money on chiller, but you might also be able to get that second hand. This link may help you find club members local to you so you can save on shipping if you go second hand route:

Koolzkat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Names mike im local in psl need some help let me know

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'd try out a couple strawberry conch's for the sand bed they'll have it nice and white in no time.

OP
OP
H2ONUT

H2ONUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'd try out a couple strawberry conch's for the sand bed they'll have it nice and white in no time.
What do I feed them once they are done with the sand bed or are they good to go on leftovers? I just got a brittle star for cleanup too.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I feed them once they are done with the sand bed or are they good to go on leftovers? I just got a brittle star for cleanup too.
They should be good to go and no need to feed them. They'll keep turning the sand bed over and over untell there content. 2 or 3 will likely do the job. And the brittle star should be a great detritus hunter much better than a bunch of bristle worms like I have! Buggers! Do you have a refugium currently?

OP
OP
H2ONUT

H2ONUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be good to go and no need to feed them. They'll keep turning the sand bed over and over untell there content. 2 or 3 will likely do the job. And the brittle star should be a great detritus hunter much better than a bunch of bristle worms like I have! Buggers! Do you have a refugium currently?
I have a sump that is a bit small for everything I’m trying to get it to do. It came with the rig and was modified so I put in new baffles and have a drain section with filter sock,
a center section with sand and rock and a flat bed of square rock with a skimmer sitting on it and mangroves rooting ( one died for some reason - maybe ‘sunburn’) and a return section that also houses a phosphate reactor with phosgard and carbon.
something is up with the skimmer though - it doesn’t seem to be creating the super small bubbles it did at first.
short answer - yes

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back