Hello from Kansas City!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :)

TWA: Dad worked for TWA, and then PARS, at KCAC, before they moved to Atlanta. Braniff, before that...

What part of the city are you in? Until 8 years ago, I was up in the northland, 152 & Barry Rd area. Moved to Buffalo MO, and couldn't be happier to get out of the city.

Back before Salt City, there used to be a KC group called 'Fishheads'. I was one of the original members of that group. All gone, now...

Facebook is almost a necessary evil these days. I'd love to bail out, but that's where all my friends and family are... I'd miss out on a great deal of family interaction if I stopped visiting FB. Unfortunate that groups like this one (Seahorse.org has gone nearly all to FB) are disbanding in favor of the FB platform. Good for spur of the moment conversations... bad for archiving and searching data accumulated over the years. That's where forums really shine, being able to search for that new piece of equipment you're interested in, or the species you're thinking about adding, and seeing a variety of opinions and experiences. Can't do that on FB.

I may well be going by The Reef Rack in the next week or two... have some other business in KC that I need to take care of.

Welcome aboard :)

OP
OP
T

TWA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :)

TWA: Dad worked for TWA, and then PARS, at KCAC, before they moved to Atlanta. Braniff, before that...

What part of the city are you in? Until 8 years ago, I was up in the northland, 152 & Barry Rd area. Moved to Buffalo MO, and couldn't be happier to get out of the city.

Back before Salt City, there used to be a KC group called 'Fishheads'. I was one of the original members of that group. All gone, now...

Facebook is almost a necessary evil these days. I'd love to bail out, but that's where all my friends and family are... I'd miss out on a great deal of family interaction if I stopped visiting FB. Unfortunate that groups like this one (Seahorse.org has gone nearly all to FB) are disbanding in favor of the FB platform. Good for spur of the moment conversations... bad for archiving and searching data accumulated over the years. That's where forums really shine, being able to search for that new piece of equipment you're interested in, or the species you're thinking about adding, and seeing a variety of opinions and experiences. Can't do that on FB.

I may well be going by The Reef Rack in the next week or two... have some other business in KC that I need to take care of.

Welcome aboard :)

My grandfather worked at TWA until he retired, so I thought it was a decent handle.

I’m up north, right north of downtown (A block north of NKC)

Still refusing Facebook! I’ll just have to pay top dollar for new equipment instead of buying stuff used I guess.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I can help you much....you have three strikes against you....you're getting married, you have a saltwater tank, and you have a drinking problem. Oh wait, that describes my life! :eek: :D :cool:

Welcome @TWA , (I'll date myself, Trans World Airlines), to R2R. You'll like it here.

When I saw the username I assumed he was much older and had worked at the TWA repair/rebuild facility that used to be at the Kansas City Airport.

OP
OP
T

TWA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw the username I assumed he was much older and had worked at the TWA repair/rebuild facility that used to be at the Kansas City Airport.

Yeah that was my grandfather, airplane mechanic for TWA. I got into fish around when he died, inherited a bunch of stuff, and made my name on most the forums TWA.

Oddly enough no one has ever mentioned my username until r2r, across planted tank forums, dart frogs, saltwater, local, never gets mentioned.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome TWA, I'm in the same boat. my local club closed the forum & went to face book. I run into more local keepers here at R2R .
We look forward to see whatcha got going ! Could we see a pic of what You have so Far?
Oh Ya , Congrats on Your upcoming marriage !

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that was my grandfather, airplane mechanic for TWA. I got into fish around when he died, inherited a bunch of stuff, and made my name on most the forums TWA.

Oddly enough no one has ever mentioned my username until r2r, across planted tank forums, dart frogs, saltwater, local, never gets mentioned.

TWA was huge here back in the day!

Both brothers of mine worked for McDonnell Douglas back in the sixties. They use to walk past where they assembled the Mercury and later Gemini capsules for NASA here going to work each day. Must have been something to see back then!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Older crowd here, most likely :)

Us old fogies remember TWA very well. Braniff, even, which has been gone since the early 80's :)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TWA was huge here back in the day!

Both brothers of mine worked for McDonnell Douglas back in the sixties. They use to walk past where they assembled the Mercury and later Gemini capsules for NASA here going to work each day. Must have been something to see back then!

Back in the early 70s that repair center was the largest employer in KC

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m from Kansas City, not new to aquariums (been keeping them off and on for 13 years), but new to reef2reef.

I’ve previously been active on reef central and salt city.org (Kansas City specific website) but it has since closed down.

I’m 25, getting married soon (October) and getting my tank back up and running. I come from KC, (anyone else?), enjoy beer, whiskey, and fish.

I’m a land surveyor by trade, and I’ve got some dogs.

My tank is a 135 gallon (5ft long by.. 31 tall. By 18 wide maybe?) with a 30 gallon sump. Way too much live rock.
Just wanted to introduce myself!

Welcome to R2R!!

I grew up in KCK -- I'm so sorry you still live in the armpit of America. Move away from that awful place.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back