Hello! Harry from OR

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell into this hobby 9 months ago. I'm an outdoorsman who has always had a knack for gardening, so this has been a trip so far. I was gifted a 15 gallon tall cycled with mollies and hermits last Oct. That tank is now a Tsibe Pod culture in my garage (and the mollies we're fed to my neighbors undulated trigger after they killed my first attempt at saltwater fish in a pair of 1" clowns)

My tanks :

15 gallon tall pod culture with 5 inch sandbed. I feed this 1 bottle of phyto from algae barn monthly, and some stank from my skimmer every 10 days or so. It's set to 80 degrees, and has a simple airline tube. t5 lighting with 1 white and one acintic bulb on 6 hrs a day.

29 Gallon DIY ft. 6 bulb 24" T5 with ATO bulbs, Kessil A80 tuna blue, HOB skimmer rated for 65 gallons, HOB fuge with chaeto, reactor with chemi-pure blue, 60lbs live rock, and a 3-5" sandbed:

Fish:

Pair Snowflake Ocellaris
Orange Spot Goby
Pair Mandarins (Red Male, Green Female)
Sailfin Mollie Female
Magnificent Rabbitfish ( He's only 2 inches and will live in my 70 gallon eventually )

Corals:
Acans ,Ricordea, Gorgonian, Dendrophyllia, Zoas, Galaxea, and some random monti and acro I was sent as a freebie I can't ID I'm worried I'm going to kill.

Invert:
Turbo Snail x alot they breed constantly
Dwarf Blue Leg hermit x 20
Scarlet hermit x 1
Tiger Pistol
Emerald Crab
Acid Green BTA
Black Widow BTA
Rainbow BTA
Assorted Ultra/Rainbow/tye-dye Rock Flower Anemone x 30

I also have a 70 gallon cube , 75 gallon long, and 90 gallon long all drilled in the garage waiting for me to stock them. The cube is going to be first, and I want it to be built around a pair of Gold Nugget maroons at my LFS I'm in love with. I also want to get the 75 up and running soon with an 8" sandbed. I'm going to attempt to make that an all seagrass bottom flasher wrasse tank. I've got the bug bad and my wife gave me permission to make our extra bedroom a tank room ;)

So far in this hobby I've been blessed with luck and good friends. Shortly after I started I met a nearby neighbor whose been a mentor of sorts. I've killed less than a handful of things (maybe more if we're counting snails, Pistol Pete has developed a taste for the babies) I look forward to continuing to learn and working to build the best environment for my pets that I can. My biggest joy so far has been watching my mandarins accept frozen on day three, and begin sleeping on top of each other every night after day four. The mandarin pair in a 29 caught me a lot of grief from my reefing buddies, but i was confident in my pod culture and my ability to train them on frozen. 7 weeks later and they have both put on considerable weight I'm still sieving 1000's of pods for them weekly :)

If you've made it this far, I thank you, say hello and drop any advice you've got for an over ambitious beginner.

I'll post some pics once I get a lens for acintic.

PEACE REEFERS!

Harry

Last edited by a moderator:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! We're glad you're here!

Clownfish.gif

Please consider starting a build thread (or threads) in the "Member's Tanks" section of this forum in order to keep us updated the progress of your tanks. You will also enjoying looking back on the thread in six months or a year and see how much things have changed!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back