hello hi hello!!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota sells captive bred dragonet but a different variety. Simply stunning and already supposedly trained to eat tiny pellet and frozen food.

Would recommend at least considering this over the ruby

They are sold as babies though. Typically .75-1”

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to do it. Anyways,

1702043538311.jpeg

OP
OP
atomicfishbowl

atomicfishbowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota sells captive bred dragonet but a different variety. Simply stunning and already supposedly trained to eat tiny pellet and frozen food.

Would recommend at least considering this over the ruby

They are sold as babies though. Typically .75-1”

oh wow, thank you so much for the resource!! they're stunning. i'll bring this up with my boyfriend as soon as he gets back from work (he's the one who's obsessed with dragonets )

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! No reason not to use a freshwater tank for saltwater. I would avoid the dragonet unless you get a captive bred one, like the mandarins from Biota. The imported dragonets rarely completely accept prepared foods and they can consume a surprising amount of live pods. Also I would avoid a firefish unless you have a good, tight-fitting, lid or canopy on the tank. They don't all jump but it doesn't take much to send one for the nearest exit and they are really amazing in how small a hole they can shoot through.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello hi hello!! i am a noob and have never kept saltwater fish. i thought this would be a great place to start my research as i've been itching to dip my toes into the ocean for awhile now.

while i've got you with me i wanted to ask a question about a future build i had in mind. my experience with fish is strictly freshwater keeping (we currently have a single senegal bichir and she is the cutest ever... off topic, sorry i just love talking about her!) i currently have a spare 36 gallon bowfront that i want to make use of. as i said previously, i do only have experience in keeping freshwater species and thus don't have any equipment specifically for saltwater aquariums.

i suppose my question(s) is this: is transitioning a tank used originally to house freshwater species to a saltwater one something a noob could do? is it a project worth pursuing, or is it more complicated than what i'm thinking? what are your thoughts?

p.s. this is an extremely long way off but i do have a livestock list picked out and i'd love feedback. don't hold back if this list is a disaster, but please do provide your personal experiences with these fish!!:
-a bonded pair of banggai cardinalfish

-1 green bandit goby (they look like they're in their jammies which is so special)

-1 purple fire fish. i was once super interested in the orchid dottyback but after hearing some horror stories with them as the antagonist i'm rather put off by them. i'd love some feedback on either species if anyone wants to share.

-1 red ruby dragonet... as i understand it they're anything but beginner friendly due to their diet but i find them so endearing. any opinions or firsthand experiences?

p.p.s. if these are questions better suited to another forum i will move there!! thank you!!
Welcome and Happy Reefing!
Happy So Excited GIF by TikTok

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back