Hello!

DartTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, wanted to officially introduce myself! I have previously kept freshwater tanks for a few years, back in the late 2000's. Unfortunately lost the tank due to a heater failure. The tank was awesome at the time when I was in college, but decided to break it down given schedules and moving. 15 years later, I'm finally in the right position to be able to start a saltwater aquarium.

I've kept a detailed spreadsheet of purchases and future wants so far, and will be detailing a tank thread soon^TM.

The current question on my mind for any replies, and I've love to hear responses, as the community seems all over the place............... When should you add your first coral to a new tank, and what should it be?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone, wanted to officially introduce myself! I have previously kept freshwater tanks for a few years, back in the late 2000's. Unfortunately lost the tank due to a heater failure. The tank was awesome at the time when I was in college, but decided to break it down given schedules and moving. 15 years later, I'm finally in the right position to be able to start a saltwater aquarium.

I've kept a detailed spreadsheet of purchases and future wants so far, and will be detailing a tank thread soon^TM.

The current question on my mind for any replies, and I've love to hear responses, as the community seems all over the place............... When should you add your first coral to a new tank, and what should it be?
Once cycled, allow a couple of weeks for denitrifying bacteria to keep up with loads and start with beginner species such as Mushroom, leather, candy cane, xenia

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! As for your questions, in my opinion, I wouldn't add any coral until the cycle is complete, and most of the uglies have ran their course. The more mature your tank, the better your odds at being successful. As for what kind of coral, good beginner corals for me were zoas, mushrooms, and leathers.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back