Help, alkalinity at 17.9

EntitledSushi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measured alkalinity for the first time in a few weeks, and it is at 17.9 dKh. I measured it three times, using two different bottles of reagent and a Hanna Instruments checker. Alkalinity has been stable at 9 for a long time.

The only recent changes in chemistry is that I have been adding small amounts of Calcium (1.5 tsp) and Mg (1 tsp) pellets weekly to make up for consumption, as well as a small amount of washing soda (0.5 tsp) to raise pH. It is a 75 gallon mixed reef tank. Also I have recently switched to using Seachem Marine Buffer.

Any thoughts? Any emergency action required or should I just let the alkalinity naturally drift down?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measured alkalinity for the first time in a few weeks, and it is at 17.9 dKh. I measured it three times, using two different bottles of reagent and a Hanna Instruments checker. Alkalinity has been stable at 9 for a long time.

The only recent changes in chemistry is that I have been adding small amounts of Calcium (1.5 tsp) and Mg (1 tsp) pellets weekly to make up for consumption, as well as a small amount of washing soda (0.5 tsp) to raise pH. It is a 75 gallon mixed reef tank. Also I have recently switched to using Seachem Marine Buffer.

Any thoughts? Any emergency action required or should I just let the alkalinity naturally drift down?
Similar situation, mine was 14.5 this morning after my alkalinity dosing pump decided to go crazy. Did a 20% water change and will wait for corals, etc. to "naturally" reduce my now 13 reading to the 9 I normally maintain. I have some Seachem Acid Buffer arriving tomorrow (thread on R2R) and read where it will instantly reduce alkalinity, you just need to be careful to watch pH and gas exchange at water's surface. I'll proceed cautiously when using it of course.
I've also read on R2R and other forums that high alkalinity like we now have will not harm fish or inverts and that some reefers maintain 15dKh as a preferred level.

Good luck; and, yeah, I'm buying a new dosing pump set up tomorrow

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verify with another test method. My hanna alk drifted from 8.4 lower over a few weeks, couldn't dose enough to keep up. Finally bought red sea alk test, was at 13. Replaced Hanae tester. It does happen.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Washing soda is sodium carbonate which adds alkalinity. The seachem product also increases alkalinity. I would stop using additives and do daily water changes to bring alkalinity down to about 8 dKH (or whatever you target).

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Washing soda is sodium carbonate which adds alkalinity. The seachem product also increases alkalinity. I would stop using additives and do daily water changes to bring alkalinity down to about 8 dKH (or whatever you target).
From my reading, Randy Holmes-Farley suggested the acid buffer be considered for lowering alkalinity. From Seachem: Acid Buffer lowers pH and buffers between 6.0 and 8.0 when used with Alkaline Buffer. As Acid Buffer lowers pH it converts carbonate alkalinity (KH) into available CO2. Am I missing something?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my reading, Randy Holmes-Farley suggested the acid buffer be considered for lowering alkalinity. From Seachem: Acid Buffer lowers pH and buffers between 6.0 and 8.0 when used with Alkaline Buffer. As Acid Buffer lowers pH it converts carbonate alkalinity (KH) into available CO2. Am I missing something?
OP mentioned seachem marine buffer. That’s what I was referring to. I should have been more specific as you mentioned a seachem product as well. The acid would do as you described and would work as well to reduce alkalinity. Adding HCl would work too but you’d have to really careful.

Mystery Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, what is your PH?

OP
OP
EntitledSushi

EntitledSushi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I was unclear about the buffer. I have been using Seachem Marine Buffer which is supposed to keep the pH stable at 8.3. It has been at 8.0, and my understanding is that it should be higher so that’s why I started using it.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I was unclear about the buffer. I have been using Seachem Marine Buffer which is supposed to keep the pH stable at 8.3. It has been at 8.0, and my understanding is that it should be higher so that’s why I started using it.
It will stabilize pH. But it does that, at least in part, by supplying the carbonate ion which increases alkalinity.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will stabilize pH. But it does that, at least in part, by supplying the carbonate ion which increases alkalinity.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the products you are adding all impact alkalinity .

always test before and after if needed to see the effects of what you’re dosing .

I haven’t tested ph in years …..
as long as alk , cal , mag are stable and within range ph will still fluctuate day to night .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely stop adding ANY chemical for pH or alkalinity.

There is no possible chemical that boosts pH and not alkalinity.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back