Help annoying algae

Insane320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank 6 months old. I believe this is Cyano algae but not sure?
Tried water changes and GFO. My GFO reactor clogged, I use BRS reactor. I tried removing it with a toothbrush but it does not want to come off.
Help with treatment, please.

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2996.JPG

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic will be better to id it properly.
What color is it?
Cyano or algae both need nitrates and phos along with lots of light to grow.
You can starve it by turning lights off for 3 days if u have corals. If there is no corals kill the lights for a week or so.
Increase flow in areas where it's growing.
Feed less and try to rid nitrates and phos by water changes or gfo or lanthanum. Nitrates can be rid by denitrator or carbon dosing etc.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lot of blue in pics hard to see the color. Is it red or green?
Sure looks like hair algae

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lights are you running

OP
OP
Insane320

Insane320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Atlantik v4 G-2 at 40 percent
Under the brown algae is green base in some areas not all. I cut the light time down to 2pm to 10pm at the highest 40 percent.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your phosphates really 5.0ppm? If so, that is the problem. If they are actually 0.05ppm, then they may be a little high, but probably ok.

OP
OP
Insane320

Insane320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I read the Ul phosphate tester from Hanna it did not have a decimal so I guess it is 5

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I had major algae problem after dosing prazipro. I had no snails in my tank but shrimp and fish. Bought 2 turbo snails for a 55g and in less than a week i had no more hair, cyano, or any algae left for them to eat. They will poop like crazy and looks like mouse poo but after algae is gone the tanks looks perfect and few poo now. You want the turbos because they eat up algae fast but make sure your corals are glued on because they moved mine around until I glued all my frags. Now I wish I only have 1 turbo because not much algae to eat now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Insane320

Insane320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I had major algae problem after dosing prazipro. I had no snails in my tank but shrimp and fish. Bought 2 turbo snails for a 55g and in less than a week i had no more hair, cyano, or any algae left for them to eat. They will poop like crazy and looks like mouse poo but after algae is gone the tanks looks perfect and few poo now. You want the turbos because they eat up algae fast but make sure your corals are glued on because they moved mine around until I glued all my frags. Now I wish I only have 1 turbo because not much algae to eat now.
I have 1500 cerites snails but they don’t eat the hair just the diatom. Maybe I should order turbos

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with turbos I thought about cerith snails but decided with turbos and I made the right decision. They ate my hair,cyano, and diatoms. My tank looked worse than what your pics are now. You will see a difference in just 1 night. I'm probably going to move my turbos into my 10g quarantine/observe tank and feed them algae pellets or something because they will starve now in my 55g. Mine are most active when my lights are off or on blue lights only.

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will literally see them eat the algae and come right out their other end. =) funny to watch it float around all over the tank, but you can siphon them out. I didn't and my nitrates is less than 5ppm and the lowest phos readings using api reef kit. My lps and spd are doing great.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back