Help! Black Clowns being attacked by pink skunk

Sparklepony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of weeks ago I went to the LFS and purchased a pair of black clowns and a LTA. When I got home I came to find the pink skunk still living in the anemone! Thought it was cool at first maybe they'll get along but I bought a BTA bc the LFS said the black clowns could hide out there. They haven't noticed the BTA but the pink skunk has gotten increasingly aggressive and taken nips off both clowns but mainly the smaller male black clown who looks like his fins went through paper shredder! I know the pink skunk is to blame bc I have seen him go after them. Not sure what to do at this point but I would like to be able to have them co-habitate if possible...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of weeks ago I went to the LFS and purchased a pair of black clowns and a LTA. When I got home I came to find the pink skunk still living in the anemone! Thought it was cool at first maybe they'll get along but I bought a BTA bc the LFS said the black clowns could hide out there. They haven't noticed the BTA but the pink skunk has gotten increasingly aggressive and taken nips off both clowns but mainly the smaller male black clown who looks like his fins went through paper shredder! I know the pink skunk is to blame bc I have seen him go after them. Not sure what to do at this point but I would like to be able to have them co-habitate if possible...
What sized tank? If the tank is too small there may not be much you can do. If the tank is 30" or longer, then these 2 species should be able to cohabitate.

One thing you could try is to add some eggcrate to seperate the clowns.

Another is to put the bta and black ocellaris in a critter ge for a few days.

OP
OP
S

Sparklepony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 75 gallon 48" by 18". Is it safe to put an egg crate in the tank ?

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no issue spliting the tank with egg crate. As said above putting the bta and clowns in a critter cage maybe help encourage them to host it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not be the same egg crate you are thinking about. Can someone clarify this. I think they are talking about the light diffuser style cut to fit.
Yes, the light diffuser egg crate.

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a newbie so I did think it was an eggcrate from the supermarket . So I would get a light diffuser eggcrate?
Looks like this but bigger! Cut down to fit your application.
Screenshot_20161006-081028.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sparklepony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little confused by the behavior of these clowns. I have a Dropcam and can check in on them from work and this morning they are swimming peacefully together. I'm sure it won't last but it's nice to see. I'm going to search online where I can get an EC ASAP and just hope I'm not too late!!!!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank. How long have you had it setup?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink skunks are one of the meanest clowns I have ever kept -- much worse than a maroon pair. The mated pair that I had ended up killing a golden dwarf angel, can't imagine what they would have done to another clown. Shortly after killing the dwarf I sold them to a local breeder.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with Pink Skunk Clownfish, but I would think a 4 foot tank would be marginal at best for more than 2 of any species of clown... I know they are very territorial, and as they increase in size, the territorial imperative increases, too.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 39.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 75 52.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back