HELP can’t find vho replacement bulbs ☹️

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking all over the internet for replacement bulbs for a TEK light 4 foot x 4 bulb it is VHO very high output . The first I’ve seen of this kind , I bought it used and would like to replace the years old bulbs before starting the frag system! Any idea on where to get these at ?!?! It’s driving me already also anyone with expirence can chime in and tell me what a good bulb combo is ! Thanks guys here’s a picture

A7A0EB8F-584E-45CD-95F0-C66DC8C9B355.png

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure those aren't standard T5s? They look like it. 4' T5 bulbs are 54 watts each, if that helps.

Edit: The ballast will also tell you more.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking all over the internet for replacement bulbs for a TEK light 4 foot x 4 bulb it is VHO very high output . The first I’ve seen of this kind , I bought it used and would like to replace the years old bulbs before starting the frag system! Any idea on where to get these at ?!?! It’s driving me already also anyone with expirence can chime in and tell me what a good bulb combo is ! Thanks guys here’s a picture

A7A0EB8F-584E-45CD-95F0-C66DC8C9B355.png
I was never able to actually see one of those.
Did you buy online back in the day? Where?
I don't think I've ever saw them for sale. I don't remember.
Please post some nice pictures of the details of that fixture here, if you can.
If you have the old bulbs please post pictures of their labels and their special connector pins too.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never able to actually see one of those.
Did you buy online back in the day? Where?
I don't think I've ever saw them for sale. I don't remember.
Please post some nice pictures of the details of that fixture here, if you can.
If you have the old bulbs please post pictures of their labels and their special connector pins too.
It is the same size as t5 not quite 48 inches I think it’s 46.5

Attachments

• F26F0A00-9E6B-416F-B20A-F75D16962364.jpeg
    F26F0A00-9E6B-416F-B20A-F75D16962364.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 36
  • F1E12C02-9A24-49CF-A956-B2D67FA872EC.jpeg
    F1E12C02-9A24-49CF-A956-B2D67FA872EC.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 71A56EC2-C264-486F-A4D4-58BFACBC7EE0.jpeg
    71A56EC2-C264-486F-A4D4-58BFACBC7EE0.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 34
  • BE2534B7-6BD2-4557-91BE-73BFC4B4D00D.jpeg
    BE2534B7-6BD2-4557-91BE-73BFC4B4D00D.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 35

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen or heard of these.

Your best bet might be to change it into a regular T5 fixture. If the bulbs are the same length, it will be easy. You may have to change the ballast.

Misbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find them anywhere either. Looks like Aquacave sold them at one point, but not anymore.

Sunlight Supply (who carried the Tek Wave) closed its aquatic supply in 2012, so getting brand new parts and bulbs for your fixture is probably going to be difficult.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mile hydro has them in a 6500k. They may be able to point you in the right direction. I had to look it up as I never heard of this bulb wattage. Mile hydro came up on my google search.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the same size as t5 not quite 48 inches I think it’s 46.5
Thanks very much for the pictures!
It's in a pretty bad shape and would need replacement parts. Specially the reflectors.
Oh man, those fixtures were great!!!
I have no idea why they stopped making them and their other lines of great reef lighting.
It's a shame we can't find any replacements for those!
I'll remember this thread... I'll be back here if I find out something about them.
This makes me appreciate even more companies like ATI and Hamilton!
I just replaced all my reflectors, sockets and fans on my 8 bulb ATI T5 only Powermodule to be used over a new system in the future. They just degrade after a decade. No can help.
Lot's of fun! Love your fixture!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1612857714673.png

1612857754239.png

Tek Wave T5 VHO Fixture Shown Off at MACNA​

While at the most famous aquarium conference in the US, we spied the all new Tek Wave T5 VHO (very high output) fixture from Sunlight Supply. Unlike traditional T5 high output fixtures, the Tek Wave doesn’t overdrive standard issue T5HO bulbs to increase their output. Instead, the fixture uses true VHO Aqualux T5 lamps that are available in four color choices that include actinic, blue, ocean white (15000K), and ocean day (6500K). The Aqualux T5 VHO lamps consume 95watts each and clip into specifically designed endcaps and are powered by special ballasts. Other than the almost unnoticeable hum of fluorescent tubes, the entire fixture runs dead quiet, as it is passively cooled through convection and some wide open areas for air flow instead of noisy fans. Aiding the air flow through the bulbs is a very noticeable gap between the bottom of the fixture and the polycarbonate splash guard that is suspended several inches below.
The Tek Wave is only offered in a four foot long, four bulb setup, so hobbyists will be very limited as to the size of the aquarium these lights will see any action over. To further limit the fixture’s use, only four bulb colors (those mentioned above) will be offered. Standard T5HO bulbs will not work on this fixture and it is very doubtful that vendors will venture into the VHO T5 market with only one fixture seeing any action over aquariums. To make the uphill battle for use in the hobby even more steep, the LED craze has taken a firm grip on the reigns of the hobby and more hobbyists switch to the newer technology every day. We aren’t aware of any plans by Sunlight Supply to expand the offerings of the Tek Wave lineup to cover smaller aquariums or offer more bulbs per fixture, but in the fast paced world of aquarium illumination, we’d like to think the lighting company has more in store for this fixture, especially since they are investing in an older form of aquarium lighting.
Despite these limitations, the Tek Wave fixture does have several things going for it. For starters, the setup comes in at a very affordable $400 price point. Making the T5 VHO fixture even more appealing is the fact that it is made right here in the US. The bulbs may be produced in China, but the fixtures themselves are built just a little north of the Sunlight Supply headquarters at their Precision Sheet Metal Fabrication & Automated Powder Coating Division in the state of Washington. The other potential perk is the fact that that the T5 VHO technology will appeal to aquarium keepers who currently use T5HO lighting and are wanting a little more, but are too weary to venture into the LED world.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad it didn’t become more of a thing as it looks very nice and I like that it doesn’t have fans.

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad it didn’t become more of a thing as it looks very nice and I like that it doesn’t have fans.
I know I really want to test out the vho I might call some lighting companies today I know ultra violent lighting company used to make bulbs for it too.

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much for the pictures!
It's in a pretty bad shape and would need replacement parts. Specially the reflectors.
Oh man, those fixtures were great!!!
I have no idea why they stopped making them and their other lines of great reef lighting.
It's a shame we can't find any replacements for those!
I'll remember this thread... I'll be back here if I find out something about them.
This makes me appreciate even more companies like ATI and Hamilton!
I just replaced all my reflectors, sockets and fans on my 8 bulb ATI T5 only Powermodule to be used over a new system in the future. They just degrade after a decade. No can help.
Lot's of fun! Love your fixture!
I’m new to flouescent lights ! Why would I replace the refelectors ? They just don’t reflect as well ? I also have a 3 foot t5ho hybrid I’m gonna run 4 different ati bulbs in maybe I could retro fit this one to t5 ho ?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back