Help choosing tank

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really working on upgrading my 125. I want to do a 225 to a 250. Problem is Im terrified of my floor holding that weight, its a rental too. Pretty much determined that Ive got to go for acrylic as they weigh less. Still worried about the weight on the floor when full and running. Its a first floor with open unfinished basement. My tank currently sits perpendicular to the way the joists run. Anyone on here know if this is doable? Just dont want it falling through the floor one night !!!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really working on upgrading my 125. I want to do a 225 to a 250. Problem is Im terrified of my floor holding that weight, its a rental too. Pretty much determined that Ive got to go for acrylic as they weigh less. Still worried about the weight on the floor when full and running. Its a first floor with open unfinished basement. My tank currently sits perpendicular to the way the joists run. Anyone on here know if this is doable? Just dont want it falling through the floor one night !!!
The safest and most responsible answer that anyone can give to this question would be to consult a structural engineer.

Having the tank against a load bearing wall and perpendicular to the joists is a good start. However, that is a lot of weight. If it were me (and I had to do this myself) I would try to get the tank over as many joists as possible and support them with jackposts. Given that the basement is unfinished with an open ceiling, this is too easy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back