Help Clownfish Fighting

PhillyReefDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clownfish one regular and one orange storm. I have had them for around 6 weeks. All was well and everyone was getting along until about 3 days ago. The Orange Storm has become very aggressive towards the other clown. The regular clown looks very stressed and has lost a lot of color. Any recommendations or should I just let it play out?

OP
OP
PhillyReefDude

PhillyReefDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty normal. If it ever gets to the point of where the orange storm doesn't let the other clown eat, then you'll want to separate them. But otherwise fighting is pretty normal, especially if they are similarly sized.
Thank You. Would you recommend getting an acclamation box?

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably just figuring out who is going to be in charge. If they are breed compatible they are likely figuring who is going to be the female.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most clownfish are not very tolerant of other clowns in the same tank. Best to keep them singly. I only have one Maroon Clown in my tank; if I was to put another in there they would fight all the time. Way back in the day I once tried to keep a Maroon clown with a tomato clown and ended up having to get rid of the tomato.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read other posts about clowns that suggested it is very difficult to mix some of these hybrid fish. The fight for dominance can only end if the two fish recognize the same behavioral cues and act appropriately. These cues are apparently somewhat species specific so mixing two clowns that are speaking a different social language does not always allow for the winner to win and not kill the weaker (submissive) fish because the dominant doesn't get the submission cues from the weaker fish until that fish is dead.

If you get another one, get the same variety but be aware that if the dominant doesn't like the weaker fish she may not accept him in her tank anyway. Sorry about your loss.;Inpain

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back