Confirming clown behavior

zyrzyxen

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2024
Messages
340
Reaction score
264
Location
Sunny SoCal
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pair of storm clownfish one black the other orange and the black one is a tad bit on the bigger side. Since day one they have always been by each other’s side showing no ounce of aggression.

Just recently I’ve noticed the orange clown with a nipped causal fin. After some observation at night, I’ve noticed the orange one twitch every so often and zip around the tank. I saw my black clown nip once in a blue moon but is not consistent. This is my first experience with clowns and they do extremely well otherwise, no lack in activity or hunger (eat quite a bit).

From what I’ve seen or read, this seems to be normal as one is trying to assert dominance over the other but I’d like to get outside advice from those with more experience. I’ve attached a video and a photo hoping to get a good shot of the concerning fin. Thanks!

-Z
IMG_9871.jpeg
 
Sounds like you are describing bonding behavior. That little shake the male does and then the female will do it back is a really cool thing to see! Beautiful clowns :)
 
the dominant one will eventually grow larger as it takes more food.

Nipped fins are signs of aggression and can be alarming but youd be surprised with the little amount of fin a fish can recover from
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new