OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the question?
Sorry, in a previous post I asked if how i was feeding my 2 clowns was sufficient. Since they are my only fish I have only been taking little pieces off a cube of frozen mysis. I got the fish on Saturday and just finished my first cube this morning.

So I was wondering if I should be feeding them more? They seem to only like certain pieces of the frozen food while other bits they will spit out leaving food floating around the QT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are low metabolism fish, so I'd only feed them once a day. A good rule of thumb is to give your fish no more than they will consume in 30 seconds. When in doubt, underfeed. You can always give them another small feeding later on in the day, if necessary.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are low metabolism fish, so I'd only feed them once a day. A good rule of thumb is to give your fish no more than they will consume in 30 seconds. When in doubt, underfeed. You can always give them another small feeding later on in the day, if necessary.
Got it. It's hard to not feed them as much since it looks as though they are always begging in search of food lol.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes two small clowns will probably only eat a small cube of food every 3-5 days. Also the shaking your seeing is probably normal clown behavior they will do it as they establish dominance. If there is no heavy breathing or scratching sit back get use to there behavior clowns seem to go from actively swimming around to just kinda chill'n about I would dose stress gaurd it has an anticeptic in it and works very well get them eating and then wait 24 hrs from the last dose of stress gaurd do a small WC and dose CP. I always start qt with stressguard get the fish eating and observe to see there swimming pattern and then once settled in and eating I start prophylactically treating

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes two small clowns will probably only eat a small cube of food every 3-5 days. Also the shaking your seeing is probably normal clown behavior they will do it as they establish dominance. If there is no heavy breathing or scratching sit back get use to there behavior clowns seem to go from actively swimming around to just kinda chill'n about I would dose stress gaurd it has an anticeptic in it and works very well get them eating and then wait 24 hrs from the last dose of stress gaurd do a small WC and dose CP. I always start qt with stressguard get the fish eating and observe to see there swimming pattern and then once settled in and eating I start prophylactically treating

Thanks Jeff, glad to hear I'm just being paranoid lol. Yea no heavy breathing, flashing or anything. I can't wait to get them in the 185g display so they have more room and some rock! The white on their bodies don't seem as bright of a white around the gills. It looks more yellowish. I'm not sure if that is how it was when I got them or if it has changed a bit. Regardless, I'll keep feeding and monitoring them while in QT until the CP arrives. I'll go to my local petco and see if they have a bottle of that stress guard.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco recently started carrying my seachem products so it's possible. I've treated fresh water gaurmis that had slime coat problems and you could actually see where the stressguard bound to them it changed them bluish it forms a bandage and delivers an anticeptic to the wound

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco recently started carrying my seachem products so it's possible. I've treated fresh water gaurmis that had slime coat problems and you could actually see where the stressguard bound to them it changed them bluish it forms a bandage and delivers an anticeptic to the wound
Do I just follow the dosing recommendations on the back of the bottle?

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Humble, in regards to what I believe is a cut on my female clown, during the CP treatment should I be giving antibiotics? Or should I just leave it be and just keep an eye on it? Brooke scares me because I'm not sure if illcbe able to see the visual signs on them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Humble, in regards to what I believe is a cut on my female clown, during the CP treatment should I be giving antibiotics? Or should I just leave it be and just keep an eye on it? Brooke scares me because I'm not sure if illcbe able to see the visual signs on them.

The cut will most likely heal on its own without antibiotics. You don't want to dose more than one medication at a time unless absolutely necessary.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cut will most likely heal on its own without antibiotics. You don't want to dose more than one medication at a time unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks for all of your help Humble, I've got most of your threads favorited, and I refer back to them daily lol.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dosed 800mg (.80g on my digital scale) into my 20g tank. I guess all I can do now is sit back, feed, and monitor the fish? After 30 days run carbon for 24hrs and then run prazipro for 2 weeks?

Also, when doing water changes during the 30 days, do I dose the full 40mg/gal to the new water? So if i remove 25% water, do I dose it with 200mg CP?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 29 42.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back