Help! Clownfish has a cut?

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a pair of clowns for my birthday yesterday and these are my first 2 fish. They are in a quarantine tank right now and I've been observing them and just now I seen what appears to be a small cut behind the gills a little above the fin on the female. I didn't see this before and was wondering if it was something I should be worried about? It looks like it's on both sides however one side is more pronounced. She is also swimming back and forth up and down along the front glass while the male is more calm and relaxed and not seeing any other physical signs. What should I do?

Sorry for the terrible picture but it isn't easy to capture lol
62742be90b8053e223febfd3129feae3.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did she get tangled up in the net at the LFS or by you? Is she breathing heavy?

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the transfer all looked smooth. Doesn't seem to he breathing heavily.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ammonia in the QT, correct? That will make a fish's gills look inflamed.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked the ammonia and nitrites this morning and it was 0. I dosed fritz turbo 900 when I added them.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to start prophylactic treatment after a couple days and they started eating. But I don't want to stress them out anymore.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, she was calm at the lfs. But she can't seem to relax here, just back and forth up and down. It looks frantic to me but it may be normal? Especially since the male is pretty calm. She will even like her head out the water a little but msi it swims along the seams.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, she was calm at the lfs. But she can't seem to relax here, just back and forth up and down. It looks frantic to me but it may be normal? Especially since the male is pretty calm. She will even like her head out the water a little but msi it swims along the seams.

She might just be freaking out about being in QT - different environment than she came from. Just like with humans, fish react differently to unsettling situations. Some handle it better than others - some take awhile to adjust.

I would let them both chill for now (turn off any lights) and report back after feeding time. Whether or not she eats is very important right now. I wouldn't even consider adding any meds until after the first feeding attempt.

In the meanwhile, keep a close eye out for signs of brook as clownfish are very susceptible to that disease: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She might just be freaking out about being in QT - different environment than she came from. Just like with humans, fish react differently to unsettling situations. Some handle it better than others - some take awhile to adjust.

I would let them both chill for now (turn off any lights) and report back after feeding time. Whether or not she eats is very important right now. I wouldn't even consider adding any meds until after the first feeding attempt.

In the meanwhile, keep a close eye out for signs of brook as clownfish as very susceptible to that disease: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/
I'll keep an eye out. I think Brooke might be hard to identify with them being white.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my vet has finally given me the Rx for CP and it will be coming via mail from Diamondback drugs. I also have Humbles list of must haves on the way as well.

Does it matter which I begin first the prazi or CP if I'm not seeing any symptoms of anything? And can I pour either of the treatments right into the tank with the fish or do I need to remove them, add treatment, allow to mix a while and then add them back?

Do I

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter which I begin first the prazi or CP if I'm not seeing any symptoms of anything? And can I pour either of the treatments right into the tank with the fish or do I need to remove them, add treatment, allow to mix a while and then add them back?

Most people start with CP first because treating for external parasites (especially velvet) takes precedence over deworming. However, if you see symptoms of flukes or turbellarians (black ich) - then use Prazipro first.

I strongly prefer to mix any medication I am using in a cup first and then slowly pour it into the filter chamber.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people start with CP first because treating for external parasites (especially velvet) takes precedence over deworming. However, if you see symptoms of flukes or turbellarians (black ich) - then use Prazipro first.

I strongly prefer to mix any medication I am using in a cup first and then slowly pour it into the filter chamber.
Thanks Humble! I'll do that! So I just fed my two clowns some frozen mysis. I'm not sure how much I should be feeding them. Over the passed couple days I haven't even used 1 cube, I've been breaking off little pieces. Should I be feeding more? The reason I ask is when feeding, I seen one clown kind of nip at the other and then did a little shake at him. Then the other did it back to him. The shaking is what initially got my attention because I've never seen that before. Should I be worried or do I need to feed more?

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Humble, now that I'm going through the fish disease and treatment forum I'm questioning if my clowns have flukes?

Symptoms

Fish can become lethargic, swim near the water surface, develop clamped fins, hide in the corner of the aquarium or behind rocks, lose appetite, shake the head, flash, or scratch.

I've seen them swim up to the surface as if they are poking out the water. At night they hide in the corner but I think that's because it's night? Lol and I just recently seen them both shake their heads once.

Can I just start prazi tomorrow or do I need to freshwater dip first?

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I begin to start my fw dip imcstsrting to question brooke as well. Mainly because the clowns are white and I can't visually seen the white slouching of the skin.

But back to flukes, it says the flukes infest the face lips and such and it causes the color to fade. My female clowns face is turning a paler orange. I'm not sure if I'm over reacting or if the color change can be causes by something else.

Anyways, I'll report back in about 30 minutes after my 2 fw dips are complete.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a nerve racking 10 minutes. Both clowns have been fw dipped. Watching them made my heart race lol. Don't want anything to happen to my first 2 fish!

So I believe I can rule flukes out of the question. I dipped both clowns 1 after the other, but using the same fresh water. Nothing at the bottom when shined with a flashlight except for a couple small white specks (Could have been there before) but definitely doesn't look like the photos that mel posted.

Should I just start my CP treatment when it arrives followed by prazi?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back