Freshwater Dip

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, May 15, 2016.

1. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Freshwater Dip

What It TreatsProvides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases:

1) Marine Velvet Disease (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
    2) Brooklynella hostilis

3) Uronema marinum
    4) Flukes (Monogeneans)
    5) Black Ich (Turbellarians)

Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes (see video below).

How To TreatFill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little saltwater into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip! (You can chase the fish a little with your hand to be sure he’s alright.) Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish 24-48 hours to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white sesame seed looking things fall off the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

ProsProvides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side EffectsNot a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not usually effective enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. (So, followup treatment in a quarantine tank is a wise course of action.) Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

Video by Meredith Presley

Dead flukes in a freshwater dip:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    WMR, Bleigh, Derek C and 15 others like this.

2. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Yellow Eye Kole Tang with Flukes after 5 minutes in FW. The water is circulating do to the air stone so some of the flukes appear larger do to floating around the container.
    [​IMG]

The same container with the fish removed.
    [​IMG]

Dwarf Angel being dipped in Freshwater to check for flukes. None were found, lucky him! He wasn't stressed out at all during this and returned to his tank like nothing ever happened. This has been my experience with most of the FW dips I perform. Easy and not nearly as stressful on the fish as it is on the human. ;)
    [​IMG]

3. jasonrusso

jasonrusso Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

So im going from the DT to the QT. Do I acclimate to the QT water first, then do the dip, then put him in QT?

4. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

It's best if the salinity and temp match perfectly between the DT and the QT. No acclimation needed in that case. You'll make sure the dip water matches the temp of both as well. This will help make it much more streamlined. No acclimating in between. If everything matches, you can go from DT to dip to QT without extra steps.

5. jasonrusso

jasonrusso Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Ok, so I matched the pH in the QT, DT, and FW dip bucket. I matched the SG in the DT and QT. The temp in all 3 was ~80 degrees. I finally caught Andy (I tried to catch him with a feeding stick with krill, but he is faster than he looks) and put him in the fresh water. After about 4 minutes he started looking distressed so I put him in his QT with CP and his antibiotic for his cloudy eye. He seems comfortable now and actually ate some krill about a half hour later. He was dragging his "chin" on the bottom of the tank because he had some loose skin that was likely infected.

I'm doing what I can. I don't want to lose this little guy.

[​IMG]

6. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

@jasonrusso Good luck! Puffers are tough, so he's got a good chance of survival.

7. JamesP

JamesP Active Member

I have tattered fins on some of my fish just like in this photo. Would you say that is a bacterial infection in that first photo?

8. Humblefish

The ripped tail fin could be from a bacterial infection or from being nipped by another fish.

melypr1985 and JamesP like this.
  9. melypr1985

It could be, as humble said, from aggression from other fish or a bacterial infection. In this fish's case I believe it was a mild infection that healed on it's own once the flukes were taken care of. That doesn't always happen of course, but he was pretty healthy other than those two issues so it worked out pretty well for him.

Humblefish likes this.
  10. Cflip

Cflip Well-Known Member

If I received fish in the mail can I do a fresh water dip from the shipping bag after temp adjustment or do I need to leave them in a QT for a day or so first?

11. melypr1985

I would leave them in QT for a day or so. Get them eating and observe for any need to do a freshwater dip.

12. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Can we get Melypr's video on how to do a fresh water dip edited into the first post? Its a great reference and not easy to find.

DieHardPhotog-Reefer likes this.
  13. melypr1985

sure thing!

JamesP and Brew12 like this.
  14. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Perfect, thanks!

melypr1985 likes this.
  15. Nfd552

Nfd552 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

If I'm going to treat with prazi anyway, is it beneficial at all to fw dip first? I would think it's just going to stress the fish out more

16. melypr1985

I don't use a freshwater dip unless the infestation is severe and they are having problems breathing. OR unless I have a fish that I think has flukes but need to confirm before treating ex: fish in a display and I don't want to just treat the whole display unless I know flukes are present.

DieHardPhotog-Reefer likes this.
  17. nanomania

nanomania Valuable Member

Whats the minimum and maximum time for fw dip for purple tang???

18. nanomania

nanomania Valuable Member

Also how many times can one do a fw dip in a week?

19. aykwm

aykwm Research Addict! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

You'd want to do it for maximum of 5 minutes, flukes will start coming out after around 2-3 minutes. Although this method will remove most of the flukes, its not considered a treatment method, so you still want to treat accordingly, usually with prazi.
    You dont want to do it so often as it stress the fish due to osmotic difference and sometimes ph difference, once is more than enough to check for flukes maybe do it twice in few days if you want to be sure in case any new hatched, also if you are doing it to provide relief from parasites you should do it and then start medicating ASAP. So I think two times (around 5 days apart) will be more than enough for the fish.

nanomania and Humblefish like this.
  20. Mfreddy

Mfreddy Active Member

Gill flukes smaller than eye/body flukes?

Draft saved Draft deleted