Help combating GHA

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just looking for some extra help in the battle to control and hopefully defeat my GHA issues. I bought a new home and had to leave my tank in the care of my old landlords for a few weeks. Overfeeding was definitely an issue because I ended up growing a GHA Forest (4x as bad as it was before).
My steps taken so far are:
I scrubbed all rock with a hard bristle brush and tooth brush during tank break down for some lawn care.
Since the move I have switched to all frozen live food (1/2 cube 3x a day) and quit using pellet foods.
My photo period has been reduced from 12 hrs actinic and 10 hrs white, to 8 hrs actinic and 6 hrs white.
I increased flow another 400gph in a 75 gallon tank.
I have been using chemipure elite and bought some phosguard that I might start as well.
During my 20% water changes every two weeks I manually remove as much as I can get to come off.
I have added a lawnmower blenny, a fox face rabbit fish, and a yellow Tang to help eat what they will.
Water params are:
78°f, 1.026 sg, 1-3 ppm NO3, less than 0.025 ppm PO4, and 1430 mg.

OP
OP
BigRedReefer MT

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where else to go. Wondering if I should slowly increase mg to 1700 as I've read here that it works for some people. I also could dose with peroxide but it seems that there is a lot of debate about 35% vs 2% and the proper dosage for those. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks all.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where else to go. Wondering if I should slowly increase mg to 1700 as I've read here that it works for some people. I also could dose with peroxide but it seems that there is a lot of debate about 35% vs 2% and the proper dosage for those. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks all.
That was actually an impureity in the mag that did trick. Lithium to be exact.
Cuc cuc cuc. IMO.

OP
OP
BigRedReefer MT

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re well on your way.
Snails and maybe an urchin.
I do have a large cuc refill on order but the weather here keeps turning to crap on my days off so they won't ship untill it warms up a bit. The urchin I'm afraid will topple my aquascape since I didn't bond any of it.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look into a seahare. Nocks around loose coral from time to time but its an algea eating beast.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems like I'm on the right track but cuc is my best next step forward?
I think so yes. We can mow it down. But the right snails will keep it down.
You’ve removed the things that cause the problems initially, so it’ll just take a bit of time the swing the balance back.

Most folks run to bottles and blame nutrients, but most wont add the creatures that actually remove the algae. So you’ve done the cleaning and nutrients, and begun to add the right critters with the alge in mind.

OP
OP
BigRedReefer MT

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look into a seahare. Nocks around loose coral from time to time but its an algea eating beast.
I definitely looked into one but there are very few reefers in Montana, and even less in my area. Just hate to order something to fix my issue and there by condemn itself to starvation. Life is cruel as it is, no need to bring it on something like a sea hate.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You've already taken the proper steps. Now wait a month and see how your tank reacts -- easier said than done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRedReefer MT

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've already taken the proper steps. Now wait a month and see how your tank reacts -- easier said than done.
Always the second hardest part of this hobby I'm finding. The hardest being to fix the problems rushing creates. What's that saying, something about change in haste and despair at leisure or something to that effect.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always the second hardest part of this hobby I'm finding. The hardest being to fix the problems rushing creates. What's that saying, something about change in haste and despair at leisure or something to that effect.

Do too much, too often, too quickly is a great way to end up with shiny white coral skeletons and angry fishes :p
I try to not touch the tank as much as possible and let the ecosystem take the wheel -- aside from regular maintenance.

OP
OP
BigRedReefer MT

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as this post stated I have been battling GHA. My large cuc refill order is finally about to ship as the weather is finally above 0°. In my battle I tried reducing PO4 and as I luck would have it, I now have suspected Dino's;Facepalm;Facepalm. The GHA appears brown now with lots of bubbles trapped in a thin slime like layer.
A post I read suggested that raising pH while maintaining a constant carbonate hardness could result in dino eradication. I'm confused on how to safely increase pH without adding excessive amounts of all. Any thoughts or suggestions?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 101 43.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 108 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.5%
Back