Help coral gone in one week

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paulito, your tank is too nuevacito. It just doesn't have a mature biome to support SPS like acropora. Personally, you should wait 9 months to a year. For now, do what the other reefers have suggested - get in the habit of maintaining water quality.

If you could only test one thing, test alk (assuming that you already keep your temp and salinity stable). If you don't have a lot of stony corals, your alk consumption will be low. You can get away with weekly or bi-weekly water changes. When you add LPS or have a lot of coralline growth, your alk demand will increase. That's where the testing comes in and knowing how much to dose/supplement.

As far as STN/RTN on your acros, most likely due to tank immaturity.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP you said the tank is old but with new scape? How old was the tank before the rescape and did you keep the sand or other biological media?

Unless you did a total reset of everything I would think the biome/biological filtration would be largely intact. That said clearly something is making the corals unhappy.

Testing often is a good idea, daily is a little much for me, but could be needed in some situations. Like others said keep an eye on nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, salinity, and pH. adjust these things slowly.

OP
OP
P

paulitosway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP you said the tank is old but with new scape? How old was the tank before the rescape and did you keep the sand or other biological media?

Unless you did a total reset of everything I would think the biome/biological filtration would be largely intact. That said clearly something is making the corals unhappy.

Testing often is a good idea, daily is a little much for me, but could be needed in some situations. Like others said keep an eye on nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, salinity, and pH. adjust these things slowly.
Yes sand and scape is originally from at least 5 year old tank but the tank did crash somewhat after no water change in long time …
I restarted with huge water changes in quick successions and redid the scape the rock did sit some days out of water though.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sand and scape is originally from at least 5 year old tank but the tank did crash somewhat after no water change in long time …
I restarted with huge water changes in quick successions and redid the scape the rock did sit some days out of water though.
That equals a new tank.

OP
OP
P

paulitosway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm yeah true…. Zoanthids are doing ok though
IMG_2986.jpeg
IMG_2985.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is not very new all rock scape has been redone. Tank old but I did kinda restart it back up recently. I suppose I should test more regularly add I will log it in apex. I will not give up
Imho, learn how to keep water first. Get your parameters correct. Use salifert cal alk mag phos and ph test kits. I don't test for ammonia or nitrites, so someone else can give you the best test kit for them. I use the cheap API for nitrates as I only need to know that there is some in my tank. Test at exactly the same time each day. As you see results from each test showing proper parameters no changes ie ammonia nitrates and nitrites ph you can test those on a weekly basis. Test cal and mag weekly and alk daily until you know what your tank is consuming. Get a pdf of proper tank parameters and follow that. Start with zoa, leathers ECT. Move to montipora next after you have successfully kept the others. Birds nest will be next.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Imho, learn how to keep water first. Get your parameters correct. Use salifert cal alk mag phos and ph test kits. I don't test for ammonia or nitrites, so someone else can give you the best test kit for them. I use the cheap API for nitrates as I only need to know that there is some in my tank. Test at exactly the same time each day. As you see results from each test showing proper parameters no changes ie ammonia nitrates and nitrites ph you can test those on a weekly basis. Test cal and mag weekly and alk daily until you know what your tank is consuming. Get a pdf of proper tank parameters and follow that. Start with zoa, leathers ECT. Move to montipora next after you have successfully kept the others. Birds nest will be next.
All good advice here! I was thought learn to keep the water first, once you can keep the parameters stable then you can start learning to keep corals. Start with soft corals and once you know you can keep those then you can move up to beginner stony corals. Duncans, trumpets and montipora are great beginner corals to start with.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to all the advice given, I strongly suggest doing a lot of research. Figure out the different equipment needed what size etc. Educate yourself about parameters and create a system for yourself to stay on top of them as well as weekly water changes. Research the corals and fish you plan on adding before you add them as well as the whole quarantine vs immunity debate. Research research research. Patience as well, which Is something I’m still working on!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back