Help crab identity

cruzersmith

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2025
Messages
66
Reaction score
24
Location
Madison
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sold this as an emerald crab to help with bubble algae. It doesn’t look like one to me. It also doesn’t look like a pithos
IMG_1618.jpeg
IMG_1619.jpeg
crab as it is quite flat. This is the best picture I could get in daytime.
 
can you get any white light photos? this will help greatly
hard to say for certain by these photos but the fuzz on it makes me think it could be a gorilla crab
 
It is difficult to see, it does seem to look like an emerald but a picture where I can see the front pincers will really help. They are tong like for pulling algae.
 
Yeah, I think we need clearer pics with no blue light and all the white you have for clarity.

One hallmark of a gorilla crab is 'chocolate dipped claws', so if it's front pinchers seem like they were "dipped in chocolate', you might have the dreaded beast 🤣
 
Well unfortunately it has moved and disappeared. I used an orange filter for these shots. I’ll try to get better photos if I can find it again. Thanks for all the replies.
 
Well unfortunately it has moved and disappeared. I used an orange filter for these shots. I’ll try to get better photos if I can find it again. Thanks for all the replies.
That sounds like a crab 😡
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 36.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new