Help....Diamond Goby

Mbays87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new here. I always look at posts but this is 1st time posting. We added a Diamond goby to our tank a few days ago (today is day 4 since we picked him up) He's great at his job BUUUUTTTTT the tank is soooooo cloudy now. Is there anything I can do? Do I need a water change or need to wait for it to settle?

20211206_145929.jpg 20211206_145751.jpg 20211206_150037.jpg 20211204_142527.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is a canister filter then it should help catch the particles, clean it often. Maybe run some floss or finer material in it to catch the stuff.

Also I agree, it doesn't look like you have enough rock.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I got rid of mine after having to blow sand off corals for a week straight. I love their personality, but I just couldnt deal with how much sand they were moving around in my small tank.

OP
OP
Mbays87

Mbays87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
off topic but just a polite suggestion, the tank needs a lot more rock if you intend to add more fish
Yes. We are waiting for our arch to finally come in. ❤ This was a tank we upgraded from a 20 nano. With Christmas around the corner I've been on hold adding more but couldn't pass this guy up.

OP
OP
Mbays87

Mbays87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s been busy! It will settle in time. I siphoned the sand with frequent water changes for a week or two until it settled down with my diamond goby. All good now.
Thanks. I will try and siphon some tomorrow to see if that helps.

OP
OP
Mbays87

Mbays87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I got rid of mine after having to blow sand off corals for a week straight. I love their personality, but I just couldnt deal with how much sand they were moving around in my small tank.
I'm hoping once this initial sand storm works through it won't be so bad.

OP
OP
Mbays87

Mbays87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is a canister filter then it should help catch the particles, clean it often. Maybe run some floss or finer material in it to catch the stuff.

Also I agree, it doesn't look like you have enough rock.
Yes it is a canister. We have an extra over the back filter. Do you think it would help to add that as well.until it clears up?

More live rock is on the way

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is a canister. We have an extra over the back filter. Do you think it would help to add that as well.until it clears up?

More live rock is on the way

Yes... I would put some floss in it or something fine then clean it every few days.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Canister should be polishing water. In addition to floss or my preference- foam pads, add a pouch of chemipure Blue and another layer of foam pads (which you can cut out circles and rewash a few times for cleaning

Gudhjem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, gobies will do that. Yours does look especially cloudy though. It will get better with time. If you have really fine sand or really dirty sand, it may take longer. With that color of cloudiness, it looks more like fine sand/dust than detritus. I suggest a MarineLand Magnum Polishing Internal Canister Filter. They're awesome. Every reefer should have one. I use it whenever I decide up sand. Just stick on the inside of the glass for a few hours and Bob's your uncle.

I think diamond gobies are great, and help keep sand pearly white. You just can't keep corals on the sane with them.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd replace your substrate with "special grade" sand if you currently have oolite. That really did help when I had a diamond goby, although it still spit sand all over the coral on an elevated rock. It seemed to enjoy the challenge of covering EVERY INCH of the tank with sand as it plotted world domination.

I know that people find this to be heresy, but you could also try to have a substrate mix! I used crushed coral on one side of my RSR350, and oolite on the other, thinking that it would deter my gold headed sleeper goby (which is just as efficient/terrible with the sand sifting)...but no. Half the tank is still oolitey, but the crushed coral is now somewhat covered with sand. The goby also sifts the crushed coral, which makes me cringe, but this behaviour hasn't seemed to harm it. I'm not going to move the goby, though: it's the only fish that I've ever seen that builds fortifications, moving pebbles (and the occasional frag) to do so.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back