help do I have diatoms?

zebbiesgarden

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 23, 2024
Messages
13
Reaction score
3
Location
Washington DC
What state or country do you live in
Washington, D.C.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had cyano at first, but 2 doses of chemiclean didn't help, so I'm thinking I have diatoms. They're brown ish spikes that have bubbles attached to them, growing all over my sand, rocks, and glass. Tiny particles also float on the surface.

Tank was set up 5 months ago, and picture is about 6 hours after water change. This has been going on for around a month now. Snail, hermit crab, GSP, mushroom, zoa, and chaeto are all fine although the GSP closed up today. Any suggestions?

tempImageDToASd.png tempImage6amGYw.png
 
Last edited:
Brownish with bubbles more likely dinos. Do they go away at night all on their own and reappear after lights have been on a little while?
 
Brownish with bubbles more likely dinos. Do they go away at night all on their own and reappear after lights have been on a little while?
they're still there at night. looks opaque green in the room light?
 
salinity 1.025, pH 8.2, ammonia 0.5ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 10.0ppm, calcium 440ppm, KH 143.2ppm, and phosphate 0.25ppm

^ last time I checked
Those look great.
Still on the edge of uglies.
I’d vacuum it out and let it mature up a bit more.
 
Those look great.
Still on the edge of uglies.
I’d vacuum it out and let it mature up a bit more.
ugly phase sucks :(

would it help to bury the diatoms by turning over the sand bed?

also, thoughts on getting more rock? clean up crew? fish?
 
Last edited:
When’s the last time you tested
I wouldn’t disturb the sand bed diatoms are just part of the process once’s they run the course they will be gone naturally I found products like mb7 and microbacter clean and the addition of pods and live phytoplankton help during the ugliest aswell as adding some biodiversity
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new