Help - Dumped Hanna Nitrate Test Water in Tank!

Jeff2c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally dumped my Hanna Nitrat test kit water back in the sump. The SDS for the reagent HI782-0 says it contain zinc powder. SDS says category 1 (high) Acute and Chronic Toxity. What should I do? How bad is this? Has anyone else done this?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well.. i have never done that before, .. I would say, it depends on the size of your tank... (the larger the tank, the less the issue)... do a water change and get some carbon in there.

OP
OP
J

Jeff2c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect the dilution is enough to not make it a big problem for most sized tanks.
Thank you all for the input. Total system volume is around 275 gallons. I emailed Hanna customer service and they recommended a water change, carbon filter and media change. I am using poly filter, carbon and will do a water change. I plan to send in a Triton ICP tests as well.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally dumped my Hanna Nitrat test kit water back in the sump. The SDS for the reagent HI782-0 says it contain zinc powder. SDS says category 1 (high) Acute and Chronic Toxity. What should I do? How bad is this? Has anyone else done this?
The SDS shows the reagent is primarily malonic acid (50-100%), potassium bromide (10-30%) and zinc powder (1-2%). The powder weighs less than a gram, so that would correspond to only 10-20 mg of zinc powder that would be oxidized to Zn2+ in your tank. Given you tank volume of 280 gallons (~1000L), your zinc levels will be raised to 10-20 ppb (10-20 ug/L) . For comparison, the Triton ICP report I saw recommends a Zinc level of 4 ug/L (this is an essential micronutrient), but I don't think 10-20 ug/L is too bad and can be reduced through regularly scheduled water changes. The other component (malonic acid) will be metabolized by bacteria. The nitrate test also has some organic reagents not shown on the SDS including sulfanilamide and likely 1-ethylnaphthylethylenediamine (or a related organic compound) which react to give the observed color, but both of these will be easily removed with carbon. Thus, I wouldn't panic and would just continue to do regularly scheduled water changes and add some fresh carbon.

OP
OP
J

Jeff2c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SDS shows the reagent is primarily malonic acid (50-100%), potassium bromide (10-30%) and zinc powder (1-2%). The powder weighs less than a gram, so that would correspond to only 10-20 mg of zinc powder that would be oxidized to Zn2+ in your tank. Given you tank volume of 280 gallons (~1000L), your zinc levels will be raised to 10-20 ppb (10-20 ug/L) . For comparison, the Triton ICP report I saw recommends a Zinc level of 4 ug/L (this is an essential micronutrient), but I don't think 10-20 ug/L is too bad and can be reduced through regularly scheduled water changes. The other component (malonic acid) will be metabolized by bacteria. The nitrate test also has some organic reagents not shown on the SDS including sulfanilamide and likely 1-ethylnaphthylethylenediamine (or a related organic compound) which react to give the observed color, but both of these will be easily removed with carbon. Thus, I wouldn't panic and would just continue to do regularly scheduled water changes and add some fresh carbon.
Courtney, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed and informed answer. I have no chemistry background but I still appreciate the detail of your answer and explanation and assume you are correct. Amazing to me that this forum can connect people with problems like mine to people that are educated and can truly help in meaningful way. Thanks again for your time and kindness.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back