Help - EB832/Trident No Longer Connected

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This morning my Trident and Apex and were working fine. I came home from work to find my skimmer not working correctly, so I unplugged it to give it and another a pump a citric acid bath.

After plugging both devices back in, I am receiving an error "Module Missing" for both the Trident and EB832. I have tried:

Unplugging the EB832, Updating the software, Restarting the Apex, changing the aquabus port and 1 Link Ports, Restarting the Trident and have had no luck. I also deleted the EB832 module and now when I click the + button, I receive a message "No IOTA devices available" and the EB832 is not recognized. I presume that the Trident not being recognized is related to the EB832 not being recognized since it is connected via 1link cable.

The orange light on the EB832 is blinking orange rapidly, but it is still supplying power to my connected devices and also to the Trident but neither shows as being connected in Apex Fusion.

I have a ticket placed to Neptune, but does anyone have any ideas? My system is literally a month old...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is not under warranty, mine quit working and fixreef.com repaired it for me. Just an FYI.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it is not under warranty, mine quit working and fixreef.com repaired it for me. Just an FYI.

Thank you, I certainly hope it would be under warranty since it’s only a month old.

Terrible timing, I’ve been having some trouble getting my alk stabilized with Kalk and AFR and I’m getting ready to switch to 2 Part and I’m going to have to rely on the EB832 to trigger the BRS doser via timer. This doesn’t exactly instill confidence in the EB832 to run my dosing pump.

Hopefully they contact me tomorrow and I can get this resolved before the holidays.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a problem with the comm circuit on the head unit. Or, if you are extra unlucky, on both the EB832 and the Trident. The simplest troubleshooting step I'd recommend is to power the head unit off of a different power supply (any standard 12v brick would work), disconnect everything from the head unit and connect only the display module. If it doesn't work, you have a bad head unit. If it does, you have either the EB832 or the trident bad, or both.

I would also delete any modules from the list of disconnected modules and then try to reconnect one module at a time. But you've already tried that.

@Tamberav Thanks for the plug! :)

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I spoke with Neptune today, he said it looks like my Apex is working ok. He suggested trying another USB-A cable in the mean time, but is going to send me an EB832. I said I had no problem with the $150 deposit for them to ship to the replacement out before I send mine back, but I am a little confused because the invoice he sent me is charging me for sales tax and shipping.

I paid it just to get things moving, but I certainly hope that this entire amount is refunded. For a one month old device, it seems BS that I have to pay anything to make it work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 2.58.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 2.58.15 PM.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update:

I received my replacement EB832 yesterday and still no luck. I even went out and bought a second USB cable to try per their instructions and I haven't had any luck with that. They told me its rare, but there must be a problem with the Aquabus connection in the head unit.

Neptune is sending me a new Apex Head unit. I'm hoping they ship this a little quicker than the energy bar. FedEx certainly took their good old time getting me that.

What a pain in the backside, I know stuff happens but this puts a bad taste in my mouth for Apex reliability right out of the gate.

I wish when they redesigned last year they would have upgraded to some better quality electrical components, heck I would have paid a premium to get a more reliably designed system. It's kind of scary knowing one USB port can cripple the whole system.

jridessuzuki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with Neptune today, he said it looks like my Apex is working ok. He suggested trying another USB-A cable in the mean time, but is going to send me an EB832. I said I had no problem with the $150 deposit for them to ship to the replacement out before I send mine back, but I am a little confused because the invoice he sent me is charging me for sales tax and shipping.

I paid it just to get things moving, but I certainly hope that this entire amount is refunded. For a one month old device, it seems BS that I have to pay anything to make it work.
Did you ever get your deposit and shipping back from Neptune? I’m dealing with the same thing with my 3 month old apex and having to pay almost $200 to send it back to them kinda sucks and I’m not sure I trust em as their service hasn’t been that good.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you ever get your deposit and shipping back from Neptune? I’m dealing with the same thing with my 3 month old apex and having to pay almost $200 to send it back to them kinda sucks and I’m not sure I trust em as their service hasn’t been that good.
So the EB832 wasn’t the problem. They still have my deposit. They sent me an invoice for a replacement Apex A3 with Net60 terms for around $212. I emailed them inquiring if I was supposed to pay ANOTHER deposit to which they said no, they would only ask for the payment if I didn’t return my defective unit.

However, I did highlight that I have the Apex A3 Pro model to which he said he would add a note to make sure that they sent me the correct model. Today I received a tracking confirmation for my order that still lists the A3 regular version on it.

Im going to be quite ticked if they sent the wrong unit and I have to deal with another week with no apex.
They told me they would send it “expedited” whatever that means because the first unit took over a week to get to me.

I’m going on 3 weeks with no Apex. Unfortunately the holidays didn’t help, but the whole situation is quite frustrating. They did tell me that I would receive my whole deposit back though.

I’ve got over $2000 wrapped up in this system with the Trident so the deposit was sort of insult to injury.

They are a big enough company that they shouldn’t be selling junk electronics. Particularly for around harsh environments like saltwater. Electronic components can be had for quite cheap these days, I can’t imagine adding the “upgraded” parts instead of bargain bin parts would add much to the cost of manufacturing.

jridessuzuki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the EB832 wasn’t the problem. They still have my deposit. They sent me an invoice for a replacement Apex A3 with Net60 terms for around $212. I emailed them inquiring if I was supposed to pay ANOTHER deposit to which they said no, they would only ask for the payment if I didn’t return my defective unit.

However, I did highlight that I have the Apex A3 Pro model to which he said he would add a note to make sure that they sent me the correct model. Today I received a tracking confirmation for my order that still lists the A3 regular version on it.

Im going to be quite ticked if they sent the wrong unit and I have to deal with another week with no apex.
They told me they would send it “expedited” whatever that means because the first unit took over a week to get to me.

I’m going on 3 weeks with no Apex. Unfortunately the holidays didn’t help, but the whole situation is quite frustrating. They did tell me that I would receive my whole deposit back though.

I’ve got over $2000 wrapped up in this system with the Trident so the deposit was sort of insult to injury.

They are a big enough company that they shouldn’t be selling junk electronics. Particularly for around harsh environments like saltwater. Electronic components can be had for quite cheap these days, I can’t imagine adding the “upgraded” parts instead of bargain bin parts would add much to the cost of manufacturing.
Wow I’m sorry to hear about all the headaches dealing with them, by the sounds of it I’m not wasting anymore time with my apex I’ll just toss it and cut my loss as it’s only the a3 jr. ($400). Fingers crossed for you that they sort it all out and send you the right controller too.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow I’m sorry to hear about all the headaches dealing with them, by the sounds of it I’m not wasting anymore time with my apex I’ll just toss it and cut my loss as it’s only the a3 jr. ($400). Fingers crossed for you that they sort it all out and send you the right controller too.
If nothing else, you should return it for a replacement and sell it to someone or give it away if you want to call it quits on them. People need to hold them accountable if they are sending out garbage products-maybe someday they’ll learn it’s not worth saving the few dollars on bargain bin components.

My replacement showed up just now on my porch and it is the correct Pro model. I’m glad I caught that and emailed them. And they actually sent it expedited like they said they would, I wasn’t expecting it to come until next week. I figured I’d give credit to their customer service where they did something right.

I do still wish they didn’t use the word “pro” unless it was actually commercial/industrial grade components-but that’s just my pet peeve. What we need is a company like aqua logic to make a controller. Their temperature controller is bullet proof and I have a lot of faith in it. I’d take reliability over gimmicks and advertising any day. I previously bought a GHL hoping they were the answer to that, but I just couldn’t deal with their programming software.

I’m going to go hook it all up here in a bit and see if I can get my apex and trident working again. Fingers crossed!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back