Help! Firefish #2 being held hostage by Firefish #1

coralgazer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2012
Messages
83
Reaction score
2
Location
Ocala National Forest
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you believe this?
I have a 36 gallon tank with LR and corals, 2 clown fish, 2 firefish, 1 Royal gramma, and one pajama Cardinal. Peaceful group right?

Well, firefish #2 & pajama Cardinal are a new addition to the community. Firefish #1 was in there for a long time, came out Often, active, visible. Seemed to get along fine with the clowns and gramma.

So I added Firefish #2 a few days ago, Thinking a couple would look nice. Both Firefish have disappeared! They stay hidden in the rockwork all day long, never emerge. I do know they are still alive, because last night when I fed the tank, fire fish #1 came out briefly to eat. Fire fish #2 poked his head out, looked around and disappeared again.:sad:

What the heck is that? Is firefish #1 holding firefish #2 hostage in a cave somewhere? Are they fighting it out back there, or have they fallen in love?:kiss:

Invisible fish are no fun at all. Instead of adding to my display, looks like I lost rather than added to.

Any advice?
 
firefish are usually kept 1 per tank unless you got them as a bonded pair. Its not like firefish #1 is holding #2 back, its more likely they are afraid of each other, they feel more safe staying in their hiding spot, when and if they do come out later on, they will either bond or fight till one dies.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new