[HELP]Floor Sagging? New 150gal Tank not level after 5 days

drkcurrent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Just finished setting up a 150gal tank with a 40 gal sump. Tank has been rolling for 5 days and I noticed today that one corner the water level is leaning towards.

I checked the crawl space and do not notice anything but i fear this is a major issue.

How can I support the floor?

1670605564782.png

1670605590951.png

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missing where those joists are attached to anything that supports them?

Hopefully someone with more experience weighs in here. I am curious to know what’s going on in this crawlspace cause I’ve never seen joists that are bracketed to a 45 degree 2x6 or 2x4? Hard to tell. I hope you get a solution, but if it were me and it was this early I would drain the water until you figure out a solution. Slants will mess that silicone up fast in my experience.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like engineered joists and to be honest, I had them at my old house between first and second floors and there was significant sag on a 20 foot run, about 2 inches in the middle. I actually hired a company to pen the ceilings up and re-enforce everything.

OP
OP
D

drkcurrent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that same question. The house was built in 2014 and I assumed it was because I am in an earth quake area that it wasn't attached to anything. I previous had a 112gallon system that didn't have any issues.

Here is another picture of it near the wall. Tank is on the first 3 closest
1670607314622.png

I am thinking of trying to put in some jack supports.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s likely to sag over longer runs. I’m sure it’s great under 10ft. Thanks for sharing! :)
That's exactly the issue I had, it sagged under the house weight... no tank required.

I had that same question. The house was built in 2014 and I assumed it was because I am in an earth quake area that it wasn't attached to anything. I previous had a 112gallon system that didn't have any issues.

Here is another picture of it near the wall. Tank is on the first 3 closest
1670607314622.png

I am thinking of trying to put in some jack supports.
What I did, is use a hydraulic lift to straighten out each joist, and then attached a full length plywood for the extra support. But ply also adds weight. You might be better off with steel or aluminum, id you can get it at that length.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are pre-engineered trusses / floor joists, contractors use them because it’s cheaper than traditional boards and less labor intensive. Pre-built off site.
Unfortunately, as your discovering they are not as strong as traditional floor joists.
You’ll need to brace the flooring or it’s just going to keep sagging.
I know it sucks but I would do it sooner then later, longer you wait, worse it will get.
I feel for you, contracted went cheaper route and now you have to deal with it.
Whatever you do, don’t ignore it.

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get some 4x4 or even 6x6 (if you're extra nervous) treated posts and cut them exactly to size. put them under the corners on the tank. ensure that all joists are nailed properly and that hangers are attached and nailed.

will be cheaper than expandable jacks and just as reliable so long as you cut them to proper size.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Called web trusses. It's not an issue so much about cost of them... In our area they are actually more expensive.

Anyway, it has to do with the load calculation. The tank is adding a static (or dead) load that the floor designer didn't account for.

The first method of increasing the strength is to add plywood gussets. The second is to add blocking between all. Third would be supports to surface below, but without knowing what that is... Hard to advise. May require concrete footings to be effective.

If it were a new build there are additional methods that can be executed, but you're beyond that.

If there is an chance to get the plans or builder tag off the joists, you may be able to contact the company and find out the ratings and their recommended solutions.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is only the top bit of the joist connected to the concrete?

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you go down that rabbit hole, are you sure your floor is not level? If you have a level preferably a long one, check the floor. Then check the joists. Then check the aquarium. Then also check the stand. Those joists pre-built are dimensionally more accurate than stick built. If your floor had settled. There also would be cracks in the drywall on the lower level especially. Up in the corners. Little tank like that should not be causing this to that degree.

Edit: Trusses, not joists in the above. Typing with thumbs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

drkcurrent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you go down that rabbit hole, are you sure your floor is not level? If you have a level preferably a long one, check the floor. Then check the joists. Then check the aquarium. Then also check the stand. Those joists pre-built are dimensionally more accurate than stick built. If your floor had settled. There also would be cracks in the drywall on the lower level especially. Up in the corners

No the floor is not level :( ... I checked the entire floor(not just below the tank) in the crawl space and it all sags towards the center. More noticeable where the tank is slightly though now.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to read up on this a bit.

something seems off because atleast this little bit of googling leads me to believe that trusses should have an advantage. I am still suspect that the ones shown in the op are installed right. I can’t see where they are supported to the floor.

Still think I prefer joists though haha.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida certainly isn't the best State but I love our concrete foundations...lol

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back