OP
OP
D

drkcurrent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temporary solution seems to have stopped the sag but need a better foot for the jack to hold as it is pushing into the soil below.

Still not level but better. Wasn't sure how much to do the jacks to start

1670621630964.png

1670621787142.png

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to read up on this a bit.

something seems off because atleast this little bit of googling leads me to believe that trusses should have an advantage. I am still suspect that the ones shown in the op are installed right. I can’t see where they are supported to the floor.

Still think I prefer joists though haha.

They are hanging, for lack of better description. The top plate of the joist and about half the web is resting on the sill plate. The reason is they are likely 24" tall (versus traditional 9.5" or 11.5") and we don't want rim joist to be that high makes for taller assembly with various negatives. I-joists are popular option, and those are typically maxed at 14" for residential.

The construction appears correct, but it is being over loaded (and/or was previously). The original build spec was likely to code minimums and time has not been friendly. Web trusses are not inherently bad by any means, but they do need to be spec'd.

I would continue to work towards reinforcement; first action with the columns is good, but as expected they will drive into the ground without proper footings or bases.

Definitely correctedable and there are "many ways to skin a cat."

Brooklands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Just finished setting up a 150gal tank with a 40 gal sump. Tank has been rolling for 5 days and I noticed today that one corner the water level is leaning towards.

I checked the crawl space and do not notice anything but i fear this is a major issue.

How can I support the floor?

1670605564782.png

1670605590951.png
ellis manufacturing. get two jacks and put a beam under the joists. it will cost a few hundred bucks, but you can gently level it and it will support 18,000lbs easy.

bratfink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a civil engineer, but you should understand the strength in those joists is not from the wood. It’s the nail plates holding the load.
As the floor sags you’ll see the nail plates starting to lose grip. Usually in the tension joints.
Wood rarely fails quickly, it gives lots of warning.
Nail plates however fail instantaneously.
Just ask a fire fighter.
Makes me cringe to see nail plates so widely used in building these days.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 170 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back