HELP!! Fungia plate coral dying?

Jurassic5zr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m not sure exactly what’s going on….but this morning I found my little green fungia helmet plate nestled up against the lobo you see on the left, and this is what it’s looked like all day….completely recessed with a white mucus covering the entirety of it. I’m assuming it was stung? Is it possible that it will recover from this?….or is this beginning of the end? The pictures below show before and after.

image.jpg 7789F304-2A1F-41CE-8432-71D5596FB6C2.png

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say either way. You just have to give it a chance. Some corals do fine after being 'damaged' and some just can't take it at all.

Good luck.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture under whites? Depending on how much flesh is disintegrating/how much skeleton is showing, it may or may not be a goner.
Also, that's an Acanthastrea pachysepta, not a lobo, which was probably why it stung your Cycloseris.

OP
OP
J

Jurassic5zr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture under whites? Depending on how much flesh is disintegrating/how much skeleton is showing, it may or may not be a goner.
Also, that's an Acanthastrea pachysepta, not a lobo, which was probably why it stung your Cycloseris.

Here are a couple of shots under whites….it’s normally lime green….still not completely skeleton….but it hasn’t improved since yesterday. It’s current location is where it’s been since acquiring it….however, it made its way over to the, what I now understand isn’t a lobo, and gave it a good hug overnight. Still holding out hope! . I appreciate your insight

Attachments

• 72AD8C37-6426-45C9-BCDD-628FDDC9EFFC.jpeg
    72AD8C37-6426-45C9-BCDD-628FDDC9EFFC.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 3EAE8B96-CF56-42E9-A8FD-EC65B28EEBAB.jpeg
    3EAE8B96-CF56-42E9-A8FD-EC65B28EEBAB.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 59

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was up against the Lobo, I mean Acanthastrea pachysepta, I would bet that it got stung and moved at night. If the flow was allowing the Acan to extend tentacles that way, I would say it’s highly likely. You could dip it in Melafix or let it be. Fungia can come back from being stung, but this one got completely zapped it appears. I would move it away from the Acan and into a lower light area. If the tentacles stay alive, it’s got a good chance. You can frag a fungia like pizza slices and it will live. If you see a spot where it’s dead and might be advancing, definitely dip it in Melafix or an iodine and cut it back to healthy tissue if possible.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't take it out of the tank. They sometimes will drop babies. Just leave it alone.

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acanthastrea pachysepta is really aggressive, tidal gardens has a nice video on YouTube about it called the “lobo Killer”. You definitely want to give that coral space, IME, it will attack anything nearby and almost always kills.

Darren

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back