Help Getting lionfish to eat frozen

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sexytang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 19, 2019
Messages
1,079
Reaction score
194
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a lionfish for several weeks now. When I first got him the person I got him from had him eating frozen shrimp. But for me he won’t eat anything but rosy feeders. How many days should i go without feeding do you think it will take for him to eat frozen. He stocks my tank and me when I come around for food he’s had one rosy in the past 3 days. He went after a peace of shrimp earlier but noticed it wasn’t a fish and swam away
 
It can take a while, i wouldnt go more than a week without feeding him though (depending on his size). I started mine on live ghost shrimp and gradually moved to krill since they look similar. He would only take whole krill, partial pieces would make him suspicious. It took a lot of patience and wiggling to make it look “alive”. Once I switched him over to all dead I began feeding other, healthier frozen foods. Even when he is eating dead, live feedings are recommended when possible. What kind of lionfish is he and how big?
 
Black volitan and he’s prolly 5-6” long without wait
 
Get a small diameter clear acrylic rod or a piece of rigid airline tubing and sharpen the end of it to spear the thawed frozen food and use it to move the food around like a prey item to get its interest/feed
 
If he’s already eating rosies then do what C. Eymann said with a dead rosy. Once he starts taking dead rosies it should be relatively easy to get him on silversides.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new