HELP! Giesemann bulb makes water yellow!

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated one of my tanks to Giesemann 250w 12500k MH yesterday. But the water looks ugly yellow comparing with the left tank using Giesemann 15000k & blue T5s.
Is it normal and good for clams?
Thanks guys!
IMG_9575.JPG

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. The blue T5s are probably why the light looks blue. MHs on their own are gonna take on a more pure white color. You should be alright, 12k is still pretty spectrally sound for corals and clams. Might wanna look into a higher kelvin bulb if you don't like the yellow color.

Venator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, clams are pretty good when it comes to light—provided they get enough light. I personally enjoy a much higher kelvin (and so did my clams—maxima and derasa). Good luck!

OP
OP
campaign000

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. The blue T5s are probably why the light looks blue. MHs on their own are gonna take on a more pure white color. You should be alright, 12k is still pretty spectrally sound for corals and clams. Might wanna look into a higher kelvin bulb if you don't like the yellow color.

I like 15k T5 the most but it's said that 10k MH is better for clams. I just didn't expect it's so yellow, so I wonder there is anyone using the Giesemann MH bulb as well.

Last edited:

Venator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man!
It’s also somewhat risky to judge light and individual spectrum intensity through just looking at the stuff. If you are seeing signs of too much/too little intensity, I would rent a PAR meter.
The blue->UV (below 500 nm) has the shortest wavelengths, thereby having the highest frequencies and most energy of the visible spectrum. Conversely, the GYR spectrums (in that order, around yellow) have the longest wavelengths, and lowest energy, making the photons slower and more visible to the human eye. This is why white light overpowers blue light, but also why corals have a higher propensity to the 460-470 nm spectrum and why some may melt or bleach at more intense lower kelvin spectrums. (I probably botched this, hopefully I made it easier to understand with this layman’s explanation. To be fair, I’m not even an adult though, so...;))
Well, good luck either way!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back