Help, High phosphates low nitrates

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually my phosphates are around 0.1ppm and nitrates around 3-5ppm. Recently my nitrates bottomed out and is measuring around 0-0.5ppm with my Nyos test kit. Since that happened my phosphates have doubled to 0.21. Yesterday I did a 30% water change and the phosphate levels didn’t change. I’m checking them with a Hanna checker.

I ordered brightwell phosphate E liquid phosphate reducer and brightwell neo nitro to add nitrates. Any other suggestions to get things back in balance ?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While you wait for your order. You could run GFO if you have that is. Just have to really monitor P04 with GFO. Then feed more frozen foods to bring up N03.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually my phosphates are around 0.1ppm and nitrates around 3-5ppm. Recently my nitrates bottomed out and is measuring around 0-0.5ppm with my Nyos test kit. Since that happened my phosphates have doubled to 0.21. Yesterday I did a 30% water change and the phosphate levels didn’t change. I’m checking them with a Hanna checker.

I ordered brightwell phosphate E liquid phosphate reducer and brightwell neo nitro to add nitrates. Any other suggestions to get things back in balance ?
If after a 30% change there is no difference in phosphate then is there a chance there's an issue with your test? May be worth recalibrating and trying again?

OP
OP
bdouglas119

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look into adding nitrates. Read about the Redfield ratio. And a water change.
https://www.atinorthamerica.com/blog/what-is-the-redfield-ratio-and-why-should-i-care/

Thats a good article.

I dont have any GFO at the moment.

My AI Prime Fuge light usually runs opposite to the display lights, i turned them off last night and removed some cheato, i think the the source of the problem was my fuge becoming to efficient. i feed frozen once a day and pellets 3 times a day. My cheato was growing like crazy.

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes won't have much of an effect on phosphate levels...GFO will. I recently used it to drop my phosphate levels.

I was at 0.4 in my 80 gallon system. I used 8 tablespoons of GFO in a reactor, replaced every other day. In 10 days phosphate went from 0.4 to 0.01.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back