Help.....How long can i keep mixed water in an empty tank

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I was expecting my rock from TBS and now they are a couple weeks ( at least ) out from shipping it.
I have a waterbox 110 and I have a powerhead and heater in it.
I noticed it has brown crude in it now and little balls of brown stuff. The tank itself is not running just the power head and heater.
Should I do new water ? I did mix it right in the tank was that wrong just figured whats the differance since its empty.
Using ro/di 0 tds and reef crystals salt.
Its been a week now and it will be a couple more I guess hopefully not.
Should I empty it and start in another week or so. Maybe get some notice from TBS as to when they think they will dive and ship.
Or once I start the pumps will this just filter out in the filter socks.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

1606579095387532790308470588318.jpg 16065791167245487306264298179318.jpg

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I thought. But then the brown stuff threw me off. And I didn't expect a month wait lol

M

Max_nano

View Badges
I think the alk will maybe lower like it can when salt water is stored, but otherwise it should be fine.

Will algae grow in a tank with theoretically no nutrients?

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine it would be a problem, especially if it's circulating? People mix and store saltwater for relatively long periods of time. I've heard that it's important to keep a power head in there else some stuff can fall out of solution, but I don't know how accurate that is.

You said you used reef crystals. I have used reef crystals, and I noticed that it often leaves a brown residue on my WC equipment. Search around the forum for this, it is a known effect with that salt (and some others). The manufacturer says that this is a special process that works to bind to dissolved metals etc and pull them out of the water. Also not sure how accurate that one is :) but if I were you, I'd probably try to get the tanks overflow going with some mechanical filtration... Stir it up and pull it out of the water.

Personally, I wouldn't change it all again... That sounds like a pain :)

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still use reef crystals ? Its what I used years ago when I was into this so I went back to it but going today to buy more and was just wondering if I should go to a different brand. Yes it is that brown crap its all over kinda annoying lol

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still use reef crystals ? Its what I used years ago when I was into this so I went back to it but going today to buy more and was just wondering if I should go to a different brand.

I do in one of my tanks. It's alright, the price is right.

I also have a pico in which I use tropic marin pro. I like it _much_ better - it mixes real clean, and quickly. Of course, it's also very expensive... Smaller tank size helps. Not sure yet if I'll switch the other tank over or not.

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you order rock? I am also waiting and I know the weather has been terrible for about the last month at least up to this week. Getting ready to set my tank up and am in the same situation as you, hopefully we will not have to wait more than a couple weeks.

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to order some TBS about four months ago... I found the operation to be pretty loosey-goosey. Curt emails that didn't answer my questions, weird forms requiring me to provide my CC information via dubious means, long wait/response times etc... I eventually gave up, they still have my CC number on file somewhere... I know they have some of the best rock, but I don't think it's worth the trouble, especially if you're waiting on it for a new tank.

I ended up driving 1.5hrs each way to an LFS that had Fiji and Tonga LR from tank teardowns for sale. I got to choose my pieces. No regrets

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its a small operation. I never had any forms sent to me asking for anything just from the start. I am in no hurry and I priced it out and came actually cheaper thru them then getting "live" not really alive rock.
Richard does the diving and all the other stuff.
@MPCReefer I ordered about 1.5 weeks ago and received an email from Deb say hopefully in 2 weeks.
Is that what you heard ?

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its a small operation.

Oh yes, I know :) but I don't believe that to be a valid excuse for the lack of professionalism that I experienced. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it was a one-off experience. I hope you get your rock soon!

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, not acceptable I thought that with the lack of response to emails.
Think when I go get salt this weekend I will get the tropic marin pro. Almost went for it last time. The store here its like 15.00 more so whats 15.00 at this point lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.8%
Back