Help! How to get rid of this stuff?

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this and how do i eradicate it? Im thinking i could be a form of hair algea but want to get some other opinions first. I have scrubbed it off with a tooth brush, sucked it up and done water changes and it comes back in a couple days. Also what is on the sand? The tank is 3 years old so i dont think it's diatoms but i could be wrong. I know i have something called flatworms (well i was told by lfs that's what it is) It's small square rust color things all over the rocks and sometimes glass, so could this be what's on the sand? I've been sucking them out with an air line tubing and it seems to be slowly working. But any tips would be appreciated. So questions are, whats the green slim looking stuff on my rocks and brown stuff on the sand?

20230531_165037.jpg 20230531_165027.jpg 20230531_165013.jpg 20230531_165005.jpg 20230531_164912.jpg 20230531_164849.jpg 20230531_164844.jpg

OP
OP
Ashley13

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pic do you see bubble algea in? I've never had that in my tank before..unless it starts out in another form and then transforms into the the bubble. I know it's algea, trying to figure out what kind so it can be treated accordingly. I have a good clean up crew.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s Dinos
Notoriously hard to get rid off

Basically need to balance nutrients in the tank. You might have too low nutrients

Other thing that helps is raising the temps of the tank. Here is an article on reef builders

I also think using polyfilter pad will help. I found it helps capture them once they start to go freefloating

Dinos always seem to bother zoas a lot

Alex.qld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably need to upgrade the cuc. I would start with an army of snails - turbo snails can reproduce quickly, maybe a lawnmower blenny or other herbivores
also some pepper shrimp for the aiptasia
and some sand shifting critters such as conch snails and starfish

OP
OP
Ashley13

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably need to upgrade the cuc. I would start with an army of snails - turbo snails can reproduce quickly, maybe a lawnmower blenny or other herbivores
also some pepper shrimp for the aiptasia
and some sand shifting critters such as conch snails and starfish
Okay, thanks! I think a diamond goby would do good for sifting the sand but not sure how my blue spot jawfish will like it.

OP
OP
Ashley13

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s Dinos

Basically need to balance nutrients in the tank. You might have too low nutrients

Other thing that helps is raising the temps of the tank. Here is an article on reef builders

I also think using polyfilter pad will help. I found it helps capture them once they start to go freefloating

Thanks, I'll check into that. I normally like to keep my nitrates around 5-10 but they spiked to 20-30 a few days ago so maybe this had something to do with algea.

OP
OP
Ashley13

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s Dinos

I just raised my temperature. Glad you told me to do that, or else i might wouldn't have seen my pistol shrimp in the sump lol. He's never done that before, he had a heck of a ride going through the pipes haha. He's now been returned to the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back