Help I need to keep tank outside for new floors

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of work to move it outside when you can just cover the entire tank. Had construction goin on in my house and covering it with a towel worked fine. Inhabitants can survive with no light for periods of time.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't be getting anything toxic from tile being hammered up even laying new tile with conventional methods shouldn't be an issue. The only thing I would be concerned about is debri hitting the glass but you just need to make sure the tank isint in an area they are actively working on.. I would just let your crew know once they get an area cleared and cleaned you will have to move your tank to that spot before they continue into whatever space your tank is in.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably fine, just keep it put of direct sun and keep frozen water bottles on hand to cool it if it gets too hot.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you cover the tank? Which may be easier then moving it and better for the tank inhabitants. You can take a tarp and cover it. Just make sure it completely covered and it will keep all the dust out.
Treat the tank like fumigation and it can't be moved.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dav

you need to run a specific control approach to keep it 100% safe. you need to do a rip clean which is a detailed, surgical takedown so you can hold the rocks and corals in clean water alone, no sand, and fish with them or in separate covered buckets. dont move your whole reef out, then back in, even if you physically do that you're upwelling waste which will change the invasion status of your tank not long after re set up.

if you want to do a custom rip clean here now we can, the reason is because this puts back only clean sand and rocks when you reassemble your tank, no waste to turn into an algae farm by august.

you need to take apart your reef, clean the sand and rocks a certain way, hold them in totes until job is done then re assemble a clean reef and go put the totes in someones temp controlled house today no fancy inkbird gear needed.

*the reason it all skip cycles back into place at the end of the day/tomorrow whenever is because the surfaces were 100% clean, not full of brown detritus you can see in most non cleaned reefs. when they sit there unmoved the non clean status can go months/years

but sloshing them around changes that stasis. its a major cause of invasion changes in nanos.

you'd think this would be the harsh, unsafe option, and that moving the tank and sloshing all the waste around is better. it's not

your reef, choose the % satisfaction you want to risk lemme know.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If max temperature is 81 and the system is in full shade the entire time and yout heater is big enought to keep your tan from falling below 76 you shouldn't have any problems. I would put a fan on it to use evaporative cooling to minimize temperature changes. FWIW reef systems can see a 3 - 5 degree daily variation in temperature so I would try to keep max changes in that range.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only 20 gallons...you can drain it, gently carry it to wherever, then refill it in like 10 minutes.

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dav

you need to run a specific control approach to keep it 100% safe. you need to do a rip clean which is a detailed, surgical takedown so you can hold the rocks and corals in clean water alone, no sand, and fish with them or in separate covered buckets. dont move your whole reef out, then back in, even if you physically do that you're upwelling waste which will change the invasion status of your tank not long after re set up.

if you want to do a custom rip clean here now we can, the reason is because this puts back only clean sand and rocks when you reassemble your tank, no waste to turn into an algae farm by august.

you need to take apart your reef, clean the sand and rocks a certain way, hold them in totes until job is done then re assemble a clean reef and go put the totes in someones temp controlled house today no fancy inkbird gear needed.

*the reason it all skip cycles back into place at the end of the day/tomorrow whenever is because the surfaces were 100% clean, not full of brown detritus you can see in most non cleaned reefs. when they sit there unmoved the non clean status can go months/years

but sloshing them around changes that stasis. its a major cause of invasion changes in nanos.

you'd think this would be the harsh, unsafe option, and that moving the tank and sloshing all the waste around is better. it's not

your reef, choose the % satisfaction you want to risk lemme know.
I haven’t done a water change on my nano in 4 months lol. I just got rid of green hair last week again. Nothing growing now.

how would I clean the sand? Wouldn’t I need 4 buckets with 4 different heaters seems like pain. My tank is 2 ft away from outside. It would be fast in and out. Algae I am good at dealing with.

I think it would be easier 2 buckets of water one with fish one with coral. Take the rocks out briefly. Put them back in.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t done a water change on my nano in 4 months lol. I just got rid of green hair last week again. Nothing growing now.

how would I clean the sand? Wouldn’t I need 4 buckets with 4 different heaters seems like pain. My tank is 2 ft away from outside. It would be fast in and out. Algae I am good at dealing with.

I think it would be easier 2 buckets of water one with fish one with coral. Take the rocks out briefly. Put them back in.
You’re way overthinking this and making it a huge big deal for nothing catch the fish put them in a bucket drain the tank down move the tank to where you’re going to put it outside put the water back in it and put your fish back in it or don’t and watch the temperature well it’s outside obviously put it in the shade do not use lights and he will be fine stop stressing and MoveOn already

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re way overthinking this and making it a huge big deal for nothing catch the fish put them in a bucket drain the tank down move the tank to where you’re going to put it outside put the water back in it and put your fish back in it or don’t and watch the temperature well it’s outside obviously put it in the shade do not use lights and he will be fine stop stressing and MoveOn already
I work from home. So I can check on the heat on my breaks and lunch time. I have 3 buckets one for fish, one for coral, the last for water. I have 2 totes full of Rodi water so I will be fine. They have to remove the tile under the fish tank as well.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work from home. So I can check on the heat on my breaks and lunch time. I have 3 buckets one for fish, one for coral, the last for water. I have 2 totes full of Rodi water so I will be fine. They have to remove the tile under the fish tank as well.
Yes so you have no choice. Just do your best with what you got. I think you got enough information here to successfully do this

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag tanks and sumps are all outside in direct sunlight. The temps here get as high as 117. If you have good evaporative cooling then the temps where you are shouldn't be an issue even in direct sunlight.

Putting it outside out of direct sunlight would be even better. But I would still use a fan for evaporative cooling in the event the tank is producing heat that isn't being shed off when the outdoor temp is in the 80's.

Don't freak out about putting it outside. Just find a spot out of the way and set it up. Luckily it's a small tank so moving it is pretty easy with 2 people.

Dave B

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fans do you use? I may not be able to get a specific tank fan. My ink bird could turn on any fan if it gets hot so maybe a tall fan?

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you putting tile back in? When I got my place retiled, I couldn't walk on it for a few days let alone set up my tank .....

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see why putting it outside in the shade for a couple days is unreasonable at all as long as temps are not extreme(and by what you describe they are not).

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No vinyl floors
I don't see a problem with putting the tank outside for a few days either.

I've been through taking tiles out. It gets really dusty inside. I would do the same thing.
Here’s my plan. I added colored zip ties to all my plugs, dosers. So it will be quicker assembly. Wake up at 4:45 am, take the lights off, take out my dosing stuff out, take my auto top off out with the 5 gallon tote. Then unplug my Uv sterilizer. Before all this set up towels. I take out my media and all the equipment next. Drain the water, pull the loose coral out into one bucket. Then pull the rock. Then pull the fish and inverts that may be loose to crush if I put rock back in. Drain more water. Move my tank outside with the stand. Reset up. Some corals grew along the rock no way I can remove it. I think I can be quick with the rock out of the water and back in. Outside 2ft. This is all going down Thursday. :)

Attachments

• ADFBDEDA-4363-4C21-BBD9-14F1F3DA52F7.jpeg
    ADFBDEDA-4363-4C21-BBD9-14F1F3DA52F7.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 14

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my plan. I added colored zip ties to all my plugs, dosers. So it will be quicker assembly. Wake up at 4:45 am, take the lights off, take out my dosing stuff out, take my auto top off out with the 5 gallon tote. Then unplug my Uv sterilizer. Before all this set up towels. I take out my media and all the equipment next. Drain the water, pull the loose coral out into one bucket. Then pull the rock. Then pull the fish and inverts that may be loose to crush if I put rock back in. Drain more water. Move my tank outside with the stand. Reset up. Some corals grew along the rock no way I can remove it. I think I can be quick with the rock out of the water and back in. Outside 2ft. This is all going down Thursday. :)
Piece of cake you got this don’t stress :)

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piece of cake you got this don’t stress :)
I want to let everyone know thanks for the help everybody survived. If somone did what I did for my size tank freeze 4 water bottles. I used 2 frozen water bottles and they saved the day. I don’t know if my starfish survived because they live in the sand. I think they did.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back