Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to this link, there is 0.09ppm in natural sea water. I suspect that you're good.

Many trace element additives contain copper.

I wish that research group would clean up its ancient, inaccurate crap they leave on the net.

That's not all reliable or close to the truth, and has disappeared from their active site, but still is accessible.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a extremely low amount but it's still copper:confused:
I just want to make sure I am safe
Here is the test
icptest.jpeg

I agree with folks that:

1. It may not be accurate. This company does not have my confidence based on their lack of chemistry understanding last they posted here.

2. It (4 ppb) is well above NSW levels (if accurate), but is not likely enough to cause problems (I had copper at 11-13 ppb when I tested many years ago and the tank seemed fine). Such statements are always somewhat weak, however, as the chemical form matters a lot and ICP stays nothing about that.

3. It would be a fine action to make sure you have no parts that might be releasing copper, such as a broken heater, wire bits, or other metal parts in the water or corroding above it.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with folks that:

1. It may not be accurate. This company does not have my confidence based on their lack of chemistry understanding last they posted here.

2. It (4 ppb) is well above NSW levels (if accurate), but is not likely enough to cause problems (I had copper at 11-13 ppb when I tested many years ago and the tank seemed fine). Such statements are always somewhat weak, however, as the chemical form matters a lot and ICP stays nothing about that.

3. It would be a fine action to make sure you have no parts that might be releasing copper, such as a broken heater, wire bits, or other metal parts in the water or corroding above it.
After checking my tank(knowing I had no metal) and based on what I have seen from another persons test, I am going to assume it's the test company
Here is another person with the same test and look at his stated copper levels. Something is not right with this testing

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that research group would clean up its ancient, inaccurate crap they leave on the net.

That's not all reliable or close to the truth, and has disappeared from their active site, but still is accessible.
Good to know Randy. I figured that since it was from Stanford and not some unknown internet source that it would have been reliable.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back