Help ID. Diatoms?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are back in full force today. Seem to even get caught on a couple of my fishes fins. It looks like a brown powdery web on the sand and rocks. So is it safe to say we are dealing with dinos? Or could it still be diatoms?

I believe they are dino's based on everything we have seen and discussed.
+1 dinos.

If its attaching to fish you are getting to a point where they will turn toxic and try to get nutrients from all life forms.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks lol. Guess I'll start by trying to raise the oh. Thanks for all the help guys.
Raising ph isnt necessary. You really need to join the main dino thread and get further information. I would start by dosing phoaphates.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising ph isnt necessary. You really need to join the main dino thread and get further information. I would start by dosing phoaphates.
I made a post there so hopefully I get more input. Fwiw, I turned the lights off for not even 3 minutes and when I turned them back on it wasn't as stringy and just Dusty looking. It has since gotten stringy again. Still no bubbles but it's driving me crazy that after blowing off my corals it's on them again. Which is a safe solution for dosing phosophate? Am I going to need to remove my chaeto and keep the light over my sump off?
I guess a part of me still wants to believe it isn't dinos.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a post there so hopefully I get more input. Fwiw, I turned the lights off for not even 3 minutes and when I turned them back on it wasn't as stringy and just Dusty looking. It has since gotten stringy again. Still no bubbles but it's driving me crazy that after blowing off my corals it's on them again. Which is a safe solution for dosing phosophate? Am I going to need to remove my chaeto and keep the light over my sump off?
I guess a part of me still wants to believe it isn't dinos.
Its not the end of the world like it once was.

To be safe you can remove the chaeto. If your LFS sells planted tank fertz like seachem products just pick up the Seachem Phosphorous. It's potassium phosphate. Safe to use. Other than that, doing less is more. Nutrient rich water is what you want. Target po4 0.10ppm and no3 should fall below 10ppm.

OP
OP
J

James Barton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not the end of the world like it once was.

To be safe you can remove the chaeto. If your LFS sells planted tank fertz like seachem products just pick up the Seachem Phosphorous. It's potassium phosphate. Safe to use. Other than that, doing less is more. Nutrient rich water is what you want. Target po4 0.10ppm and no3 should fall below 10ppm.
Going to pick some up tomorrow. Looking through my QT meds though, I have ruby reef rally. It's says it treats dinoflagellates on the bottle. Anyone tried this?

151553292426257440862.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to pick some up tomorrow. Looking through my QT meds though, I have ruby reef rally. It's says it treats dinoflagellates on the bottle. Anyone tried this?
I wouldn't risk it. No long term sustainability in growing competitors with that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back