Help ID

Vezos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Ordered a pair of clown fish and a pair of hermit crabs. One of the crabs turned out to be a snail, unable to identify either. Any help would be appropriate.
IMG-20231224-WA0013.jpg

PXL_20231224_152729383.jpg

Apologies for the unclear image, should have taken a picture before placing it in the tank. The snail has a similar shell as that of the crab, it has a green colored belly and it buried itself as soon as it hit the sand.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on either id, but if the snail has a larger shell than the hermit then I'd keep a close watch on them both as the hermit grows....:anguished-face:

@ISpeakForTheSeas - Do you recognize these?

OP
OP
V

Vezos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on either id, but if the snail has a larger shell than the hermit then I'd keep a close watch on them both as the hermit grows....:anguished-face:

Thanks! I have a couple of dead snail shells lying around in the tank, hope that's enough to deter the crab from attacking the snail.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not right off the bat. The hermit is almost certainly a Clibanarius sp., but I'll need clearer pics of the eyestalks and claws to say which (some side pics of the head/leg would help too). As is, there are four species I know that look close, but either the eyestalks, the antennae, or both look slightly off on most of them from what I can tell. Regardless, it will almost certainly reach ~1" to 1.5" max (so it shouldn't be a problem).

For the snail, I'd need better pics (full length shots of the top, the sides, and preferably the bottom of the snail's shell too), but I'd guess either a Nassarius species or a predatory snail.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas the snail seems to be nocturnal, it's on and about after the light turns off. Saw him on the glass late at night. Got a picture of its belly. Hope this helps in identifying it.
PXL_20231226_163354293.jpg
@ISpeakForTheSeas the snail seems to be nocturnal, it's on and about after the light turns off. Saw him on the glass late at night. Got a picture of its belly. Hope this helps in identifying it.
Where did you order from? I would assume if you contact the business you purchased them from the would know the ID of what they sell. I know TBS is good at responding when people contact them about an unknown hitchhiker.

OP
OP
V

Vezos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you order from? I would assume if you contact the business you purchased them from the would know the ID of what they sell. I know TBS is good at responding when people contact them about an unknown hitchhikkevgib67

Where did you order from? I would assume if you contact the business you purchased them from the would know the ID of what they sell. I know TBS is good at responding when people contact them about an unknown hitchhiker.
@kevgib67 I ordered it from a local distributor, he told me these are generic local hermit crabs that's it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'd need a top-down, straight-on shot of the top/back of the shell and some straight-on shots of the side(s) too, but that's a great pic, and I love the pattern on the foot and head here - cool-looking snail!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kevgib67 I ordered it from a local distributor, he told me these are generic local hermit crabs that's it.
Oh, I didn’t realize where you live at. Hold tight some very smart people on here. Just recently I saw the first thread where the experts were stumped. First time in over two years I’ve been on this forum and there are multiple id requests a day.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a dead clown fish stuck at the mouth of the snail. Chucked the snail in the sump for now. Here are some more pictures you asked for @ISpeakForTheSeas
PXL_20231230_121258400.jpg

PXL_20231230_121452038.jpg
PXL_20231230_121528346.jpg
PXL_20231230_121652167.jpg

PXL_20231230_121804106.jpg
Looks like a whelk to me, even though nassarius snails are whats called "dog whelks" this guy definetly looks like an actual Whelk to me.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'd say to take a good look through some Phrontis vibex pics (P. vibex seems to be pretty variable from the pics, so I'd suggest looking through quite a few to be safe), and if you don't think that's a match, then it's almost certainly a predatory species (probably some kind of "Drill/Oyster Drill" like Urosalpinx cinerea).

Regardless, I can tell you this snail would not have killed a healthy clownfish (I honestly doubt it's physically capable of killing even a sick one) - so something killed your clown and this snail just took advantage of the opportunity to feed on it.

Edit: Regardless of what kind it is, you can probably feed it bivalves (oysters, clams, mussels, etc.) and keep it as a neat sump snail.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'd say to take a good look through some Phrontis vibex pics (P. vibex seems to be pretty variable from the pics, so I'd suggest looking through quite a few to be safe), and if you don't think that's a match, then it's almost certainly a predatory species (probably some kind of "Drill/Oyster Drill" like Urosalpinx cinerea).

Regardless, I can tell you this snail would not have killed a healthy clownfish (I honestly doubt it's physically capable of killing even a sick one) - so something killed your clown and this snail just took advantage of the opportunity to feed on it.

Edit: Regardless of what kind it is, you can probably feed it bivalves (oysters, clams, mussels, etc.) and keep it as a neat sump snail.
pretty sure only cone snails has the ability to actually kill healthy fish and i dont think you even have cone snails in a reef tank anyways

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a whelk snail. Could also be a conch species but whelk jump out at me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back