Help identifying film on sand and rocks?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 13.5 gallon tank is 6 months old and a brown slime has begun to cover my rocks and sand. In the first 3 months, I had some green film algae pop up but never had any crazy issues. That was with 2 clowns, a goby/pistol pair, and a cleaner shrimp, and about 5 corals. Now I added an orchid dottyback (which was not smart) and have about 10 corals, half of which are very upset including 1 acro, a zoa colony, a pipe organ colony, and my frogspawn is open, but not as plump as it used to be (the hammer coral head was DOA when I got it a while back, not a result of whatever this was) However my montipora, acans, and hammer coral all seem to be fine.

Parameters:
ph 8.4
salinity 1.025sg
nitrate 10ppm
silicate 0ppm
I have no phosphate test but am hoping to get one tomorrow so I can update the numbers as soon as possible.

I keep up with my weekly 40% water changes, dose beneficial bacteria, and kalk, and all was well until recently. After a water change, it comes back worse about 2 days later. It looks like dinos or cyano to me. This is my first outbreak of an algae so im hoping I can get an ID and some steps to fix it!

acro-dinos.jpg
moresand-dinos.jpg
sand-dinos.jpg
zoas-dinos.jpg
hammer-dinos.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown slime is usually dinos. This is a good reason as to why a phosphate test is important, as 0.00 phosphate appears to be a correlate of dinos.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider feeding something to up the phosphates or to dose them if they come back as 0.00. Reef roids is often recommended.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any flow in the tank? The water surface is completely flat. Is there a skimmer, how do you oxygenate the water?

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any flow in the tank? The water surface is completely flat. Is there a skimmer, how do you oxygenate the water?
Yes I have an outflow with an SICEE silent 1.0 pump, and then an Aqamai kps powerhead on the 50L SPS setting. Overflow pump is pointed upward disturbing the surface and the powerhead is on the opposite side of the tank providing random flow

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, phosphate is at 26ppb or .026ppm, and nitrate is at 10ppm. So nothing crazily out of range. Any ideas as to why so much brown slime on the corals, rock, and sand?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back